Questions about leopards diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChasingBike

5 Year Member
Hello all,I come from China,and I have had my leopard (4inches) for 1 mouth,I have provided my tort with purple cabbage,fresh perennial ryegrass,chinese kale,dandelion,pumpkin leaves and flowers,well-chopped dry timothy grasses and oat grasses,zoo med tort food and mazuri tort food,and I am going to add rose petals.But,I am wondering if I could feed my tort with rose leaves or arugula?do you guys know purple cabbage?I don't know if I could feed my tort with it,but many Chinese tort owners told me that it's fine.
Also,It's kinda difficult for me to find the corret name for the veggies and weeds from English to Chinese,is this arugula?
T1e6siXgdiXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_310x310.jpg

any posts would be appriciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Looks like arugula to me. I wouldn't feed too much red cabbage. Cabbage is in the brassica family and shouldn't be fed all the time. Occasionally is fine.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) The site, tortoisetable.org might help you with the English/Chinese translation, as they have pictures of plants with the name.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ALL of the foods you mentioned are fine. I agree with Yvonne about the cabbage. Once in a while is fine, but don't feed it every day.

Also look for mulberry leaves, grape vine leaves, hibiscus leaves and flowers, and some succulents too. Spineless opuntia cactus pads are great. As are jade plant (Crassula ovata), ice plant (Carpobrotus edulis), and red apple (the succulent, not the fruit, Aptenia cordifolia). In the wild these succulents, along with many "weeds" make up the bulk of a leopards diet. They aren't big on grass, but if your is eating it, its not a bad thing.

ChasingBike

5 Year Member
thanks,how about the substrate?i am using coco fiber(Eco earth) mixed with zoo med bark....but sometimes my tort would accidentally eat some coco fiber(when it's eating or drinking).I am kinda worried.The coco fiber would dry very soon,so I spray twice a day.

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Coco fiber from Eco Earth is great, just don't let it dry out. I literally pour water on to mine to make it really damp, especially under my MVB to create humidity. If he eats some of it because it sticks to his food, in the water etc. it's fine. It will pass through him. You can spray a lot of warm water on him and all over his enclosure.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
mchong9606 said:
Coco fiber from Eco Earth is great, just don't let it dry out. I literally pour water on to mine to make it really damp, especially under my MVB to create humidity. If he eats some of it because it sticks to his food, in the water etc. it's fine. It will pass through him. You can spray a lot of warm water on him and all over his enclosure.

I agree also. Should be okay. I use this with my babies and no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.