Questions about Russian Tortoise

sunny_27

Location (City and/or State)
Indianapolis, IN
Hi! I'm buying my first Russian Tortoise soon and just had a few questions. I have a pretty small enclosure for him right now (it's just temporary, I'm planning on upgrading it next summer), so he won't have a ton of space. Because of this, I wanted to let him roam the backyard occasionally to get some sunshine and exercise. I know there are a lot of people that say this is a terrible idea, so I'm not sure if I should go through with it. Is it okay to let him out once a week if I make sure he stays on the patio and doesn't eat anything?
I'm so curious about this. I'm adopting a Russian Tortoise in a few weeks. We will be building him am outdoor enclosure but also wondered if we could let him out occasionally to roam about (with supervision). I've also seen people put little tracking devices on them. I thought that was a good idea to be extra safe.

sunny_27

Indianapolis, IN
No, it is a bad idea. Build a safe enclosure outside and then you can let him out for short times as a hatchling, 24/7 in warm months as an adult
He is 5 inches big and was surrendered to A Critter's Chance. We are building an outdoor enclosure that is 15 feet by 5 ft and will have a cold frame too. Do you have any suggestions about how deep to go? We were going to dig a trench about 2-3 ft deep and line the trench with chicken wire and then backfill with dirt. We weren't sure if that was deep enough or what to do with the floor. Should that also be lined with chicken wire?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
2 to 3' feet deep is excessive. I don't think they did down that deep. As FYI I was told, and it has indeed worked well for me, that they dig "against a wall" so if you line your enclosure with paving stones, they will not dig down. That has proven to be true for me, though I would not necessarily use that as an example for all. The one place I don't have a paver where he does dig, he dug down around 6" and I put an "animal barrier" down (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BJVHQQMV/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20) Here is a photo of my enclosure with the pavers. I did not dig down at all.

Attachments

• IMG_8052.jpg
    IMG_8052.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8054.jpg
    IMG_8054.jpg
    973.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

sunny_27

Indianapolis, IN
2 to 3' feet deep is excessive. I don't think they did down that deep. As FYI I was told, and it has indeed worked well for me, that they dig "against a wall" so if you line your enclosure with paving stones, they will not dig down. That has proven to be true for me, though I would not necessarily use that as an example for all. The one place I don't have a paver where he does dig, he dug down around 6" and I put an "animal barrier" down (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BJVHQQMV/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20) Here is a photo of my enclosure with the pavers. I did not dig down at all.
I was reading online that they have the potential to burrow as deep at 6 feet, that's why we were worried about it, but if it's not necessary to plan for that potential, then we are open to other ways of protecting Sunny from escaping his enclosure. Your enclosure is AMAZING. So, it we simply put pavers along the inside of the lumber walls, then theoretically he wouldn't dig down? Does it also help to have the cold frame? Would he instinctually know to go there when it gets cold or would we have to move him there ourselves? (BTW, thanks for moving my thread).

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Again, I can only speak to my experience (though it was advice from @Yvonne G who has tons of experience with Russians), but yes that has prevented him from digging down.

You really don't want them brumating outside if possible. See this thread: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/toms-brumation-thread.201823/

lots of people do it, don't get me wrong, but the risk of something happening (getting flooded out/drowning, freezing, etc) is much higher than if you bring them to a controlled environment.

They ARE escape artists, some even climb up the side of enclosures. My guy is pretty unusual, he's largely inactive and lazy...

sunny_27

Indianapolis, IN
Again, I can only speak to my experience (though it was advice from @Yvonne G who has tons of experience with Russians), but yes that has prevented him from digging down.

You really don't want them brumating outside if possible. See this thread: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/toms-brumation-thread.201823/

lots of people do it, don't get me wrong, but the risk of something happening (getting flooded out/drowning, freezing, etc) is much higher than if you bring them to a controlled environment.

They ARE escape artists, some even climb up the side of enclosures. My guy is pretty unusual, he's largely inactive and lazy...
Gotcha! That's really good to know and glad that the pavers have worked well for your little guy. According to the rescue, Sunny is very active!

Will he still burmiate if the temp inside the house is still warm? That was something I wasn't sure about and why we decided to just do an outdoor enclosure. I read that if you bring them inside, they won't burmiate and will over eat and have a shorter life expectancy? Is that total bogus? Im torn between protecting him from the elements but also just wanting to create as natural of a life for him as possible.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Please read that thread, I think it will answer most of your questions.

Many people here do not hibernate, i do not believe it causes them to overeat and/or have a shortened life expectancy. No matter what you do, you are not giving him a "natural" life. Your yard can be as good as you can make it, but it won't be nature. Nature would also allow rats and racoons to eat him, or for him to possibly drown over the winter. You can bring him into a controlled environment (could be a refrigerator, could be a cold, protected space in your garage or porch though that will not keep it at a steady temp the way a fridge would).

Read the thread, it will be useful for you. For what it is worth, I have not hibernated mine.

sunny_27

Indianapolis, IN
Please read that thread, I think it will answer most of your questions.

Many people here do not hibernate, i do not believe it causes them to overeat and/or have a shortened life expectancy. No matter what you do, you are not giving him a "natural" life. Your yard can be as good as you can make it, but it won't be nature. Nature would also allow rats and racoons to eat him, or for him to possibly drown over the winter. You can bring him into a controlled environment (could be a refrigerator, could be a cold, protected space in your garage or porch though that will not keep it at a steady temp the way a fridge would).

Read the thread, it will be useful for you. For what it is worth, I have not hibernated mine.
Thank you so much for your thoughtful response and valid points. It's true, that even our best wouldn't be what he would truly experience (especially protection from predation). I'll definitely take a look at the thread and see what we can provide him for indoor winter protection. Thanks again for your help and advice!

Terp88

Indianapolis
hey @sunny_27! just stumbled on this as I'm also about to embark on getting a tort soon. I'm also a new member to this forum and in Indy. Also, really nice exterior enclosure @SinLA! I had one similar when I was growing up in back in MD with box turtles!

Terp88

Indianapolis
Question of my own regarding enclosures (but indoor). I'm seeing a lot of 8x4 minimum throughout the forum. I was thinking of doing a "split level" 4'x6' lower area and a "second story" 4'x4' with on/off ramps. Under the second story, I was planning to put a ramp down in the lower area to provide a 6" drop over 24" length to provide a deeper area for a moist hiding area. Second story area would be basking area, where the lower area would be water/feeding and general open area.

Total is 40sqft for an adult russian. Is this sufficient?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Question of my own regarding enclosures (but indoor). I'm seeing a lot of 8x4 minimum throughout the forum. I was thinking of doing a "split level" 4'x6' lower area and a "second story" 4'x4' with on/off ramps. Under the second story, I was planning to put a ramp down in the lower area to provide a 6" drop over 24" length to provide a deeper area for a moist hiding area. Second story area would be basking area, where the lower area would be water/feeding and general open area.

Total is 40sqft for an adult russian. Is this sufficient?
Yes there are other people who have done that. Just make sure the ramps have sides so he cannot fall off, and that the pitch is not so steep they wouldn't want to climb it...

sunny_27

Indianapolis, IN
hey @sunny_27! just stumbled on this as I'm also about to embark on getting a tort soon. I'm also a new member to this forum and in Indy. Also, really nice exterior enclosure @SinLA! I had one similar when I was growing up in back in MD with box turtles!
Hi! Nice to see another Hoosier on here that is embarking on this journey! Very best of luck to you and your tortie! It's a lot to learn but I'm excited to give Sunny a good life ♥️ will you only be doing indoor? I love the idea of a split level. Great idea!

Terp88

Indianapolis
Hi! Nice to see another Hoosier on here that is embarking on this journey! Very best of luck to you and your tortie! It's a lot to learn but I'm excited to give Sunny a good life ♥️ will you only be doing indoor? I love the idea of a split level. Great idea!
Nice to meet you too! And thanks for the well wishes -- best of luck to you too!

I plan to do day trips outside in my backyard using a baby fence I have and then setting up their main camp with the indoor enclosure. I also plan to launch a thread on this forum about my build journey and include the specs I'll draw up in CAD as well (my background is mechanical engineering). That way, if anyone wants the plans to build it themselves they can have them! Enjoy the warmer spring days with Sunny (cute name)!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice to meet you too! And thanks for the well wishes -- best of luck to you too!

I plan to do day trips outside in my backyard using a baby fence I have and then setting up their main camp with the indoor enclosure. I also plan to launch a thread on this forum about my build journey and include the specs I'll draw up in CAD as well (my background is mechanical engineering). That way, if anyone wants the plans to build it themselves they can have them! Enjoy the warmer spring days with Sunny (cute name)!
You want any fencing to be opaque and smooth. They will climb most fencing like a ladder, so be careful what you use.

sunny_27

Indianapolis, IN

Thank you! I started following you so I'll definitely be looking out for your build journey and taking a look at those plans for my own indoor build :) so neat that you have that background and can build an awesome space for your tortie!

I love the little baby fence idea/ day trips. That'll be nice for your little buddy.
I'm so excited for warmer spring days! I'm starting my outdoor build this weekend :)

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
It looks like it would tip over a with a good push. If you put paver stones so it can't tip over then maybe. They also might try climbing it