Questions About Several Weeds...

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I've been perusing my yard now that everything is starting to bloom, and there were a few weeds that caught my eye. Any clue about what the following could be?Patch of Unknown Pink Flowering Weed.JPG

Here's a closeup of the same plant. The actual flowers are those teeny pink petals. The bees seemed pretty interested in this plant. The leaves darken to a more purple color towards the top of the plant, as you can see.

Unknown Pink Flowering Weed.JPG

Here's another flowering plant above a dandelion.

Purple Heart Shaped Weed.JPG

Finally, I found this spiny looking weed.
Spiny Weed.JPG

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :D

Attachments

• Patch Purple Heart Shaped Weed.JPG
    Patch Purple Heart Shaped Weed.JPG
    422.8 KB · Views: 9
M

Maggie Cummings

I hate those spiny weeds, so I was all the time pulling them up. But I have 2 tortoises who eat them...yuck. However, my big Sulcata who eats everything won't eat them, go figure...

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
It's suprising how tortoises are capable of eating such coarse, spiny things, huh? That's funny your big Sulcata doesn't like them, though. Out of all types of tortoises, sulcatas are the species I would envision being most able to eat those tough plants, considering how strong and spiny they are themselves, haha. :)

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
I'm beginning to think that the first plant may be a Deadnettle and the second could be a wild violet of some sort? Which would be great, since both are edible, but I'd like an expert opinion :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The first two pictures are purple dead nettle. I don't think the third is violet, but I don't know what it is. The last picture is some sort of thistle. They are usually edible.

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
Thank you! Good to know. I'll just bypass the purple flowered plant in the second picture, then.

M

Maggie Cummings

It's suprising how tortoises are capable of eating such coarse, spiny things, huh? That's funny your big Sulcata doesn't like them, though. Out of all types of tortoises, sulcatas are the species I would envision being most able to eat those tough plants, considering how strong and spiny they are themselves, haha. :)
And he will eat anything. Confusing huh...It's a small tortoise that eats them...

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
My landscaper told me that purple flower is a wild violet which is pretty common here in our area. I haven't feed to mine but did ask the landscaper & she seemed sure.

mikeh

5 Year Member
My landscaper told me that purple flower is a wild violet which is pretty common here in our area. I haven't feed to mine but did ask the landscaper & she seemed sure.
Yes, it is violet. My emys emys and little leopard love it. Leopard will eat softer leaves of saw thistle.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't recognize the first three, but that last one is a favorite of my tortoises. I can't remember the name, but I looked it up years ago. They just eat it spines and all. I learned to use gloves to pick it for them. I don't get much of it, but they like what little I'm able to give them.

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
We have oodles of violets in our yard, then. I'll be sure to start bagging some of the leaves and flowers. Thanks for the identification!

It's funny how something so spiney is a tortoise favorite. I'll try giving some of it to my tortoise then, but I feel the need to trim off all of those prickers.