Why do all weeds have to have yellow flowers..?!

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Sierra Vista, AZ
20140826_080714.jpg aqua.jpg purple.jpg magenta.jpg It makes it so hard to identify.

I have three here for y'all to see if you can help me out--I just get so paranoid, if I cannot find an *exact* matching photograph and I have been looking for hours.

I colored the arrows which point to the three weeds... the leaves that look like way pointier parsley and teeny-tiny three petal flower belongs to the aqua arrow. The magenta arrow is pointing to a weed who's flowers appear to do that white-white-poof-dandelion thing, but it grows in stalks that merge at a base. The white daisy-ish thing the purple arrow is pointing to seems to grow in stalks too, maybe?

Thank you in advance!

All Three
20140826_080714.jpg

Aqua Arrow
aqua.jpg

Purple Arrow
purple.jpg

Magenta Arrow
magenta.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
That makes total sense, thank you! Still makes it a PITA for a layman, like myself, to try to discern what's what...LOL

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
The magenta arrow has two plants that are really close, can you get another pic please? Thanks :D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Bees are also attracted to red and orange.
I have this weird little purple, of ALL colors, daisy like flower popping up everywhere though! I have to get a picture, very pretty.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Third photo - common (English) daisy/scentless chamomile if the leaves are fern like

Fourth photo - looks like Spanish needle (pica preto)

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

Last edited:

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Here are close-ups of the magenta arrow plant. Some of the stalks are upright and others are laying on the ground.

20140826_080639.jpg 20140826_080652.jpg

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Ok. I think the white-ish daisies are Erigeron divergens – Spreading Fleabane. Which looks like a no go.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Pretty sure the aqua arrow is pointing to Spanish Needle like Yourlocalpoet stated. I cannot find it or its family on the thetortoisetable.org.uk or africantortoise.com. But I am thinking it's a no go, as well.

I had to take a detour on my way to work today, and noticed a bunch of wild flowers. I am going to take some photos tomorrow and see if any of those are ok.

Anyone know if the orange poppies are ok?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
PALUDOSUM DAISY (LEUCANTHEMUM PALUDOSUM)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409215348.985305.jpg
Also known as Chrysanthemum paludosum, your plant bears petite daisy flowers amidst coarse, greyish-green foliage. Needs full or partial sun, regular water and feed with a slow-release or organic fertilizer formulated for blooming plants. Will bloom from spring to summer and often into autumn. Deadhead spent flowers to prolong its bloom season.

DANDELION (TARAXACUM OFFICINALE)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409215414.907235.jpg
This may be a common dandelion, a European perennial with resilient tap roots that easily break off when the plant is pulled out. These roots will quickly sprout new tops so make sure you have gotten the entire root out.

TARRAGON? (ARTEMISIA DRACUNCULUS)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409215515.329428.jpg
This has the look of a tarragon, but we cannot be positive. Please crush a leaf and give it the sniff test - it has a scent similar to licorice. If it is tarragon, it prefers full sun, regular water and organic fertilizer. Suggest you show some clippings including the flowers to a horticulturist at your local garden center or botanic garden. Do not use in cooking unless identified in hand and you are sure it has been raised organically with no chemical pesticide or fungicide sprayed on or near the plant.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Ok. I have not been able to ascertain whether or not the Heterotheca subaxillaris – Camphorweed is edible.
http://www.fireflyforest.com/flowers/1223/heterotheca-subaxillaris-camphorweed/

Serendipitously, there was a installation wide training exercise yesterday, so I had to take a detour which included a stretch of road with tons of weeds/wild flowers. So this morning, I stopped and took photos of all the flowers. I have identified many of them, but some of them I cannot determine if they are toxic or not. Anyone know if Gomphrena sonorae – Sonoran Globe Amaranth is tortoise friendly?

http://www.fireflyforest.com/flowers/1174/gomphrena-sonorae-sonoran-globe-amaranth/

BTW, I am so in love with this fireflyforest.com website.. highly recommend it, especially those in Arizona. It appears there is a Hawaii section, as well!