Questions about the tortoise

qiangzhu

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
You could lay 2 peices of wood across the top and fasten the RHP to them. Remember the RHP might be a little pricey. But you will need it later on as you're tort grows.

Do you have a picture of your setup with the panel? I am not handy and don’t want to do anything wrong.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I don't have a RHP. But I will soon because my sully is going outside fulltime soon. Back in this post I sent pics of what I did.
Here is a pic (just a example).
20190310_171857.jpg

Pointydog

West Virginia
I don't have a RHP. But I will soon because my sully is going outside fulltime soon. Back in this post I sent pics of what I did.
Here is a pic (just a example).
View attachment 266976
I just went to read about the radiant panels since I am building a larger space for my Redfoot trio.

There is a safety fuse internal to the panel, and you should have nothing in front of the lens so as to avoid a hot spot that would cause the safety fuse to open. They mention this could also void the warranty.

I think you could use an oversized solid plywood cover and mount the panel to the underside, then lay it over the tote. You have to make sure the panel is smaller than the opening in the tote. In my mind's eye i see a few inches of plywood all around the panel, where the plywood would rest on the rim of the tote.

A small panel could be mounted to the underside of the lid of the tote, but I would call the guys who make the panel to see if the back side of the panel might get too hot for the plastic.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I just went to read about the radiant panels since I am building a larger space for my Redfoot trio.

There is a safety fuse internal to the panel, and you should have nothing in front of the lens so as to avoid a hot spot that would cause the safety fuse to open. They mention this could also void the warranty.

I think you could use an oversized solid plywood cover and mount the panel to the underside, then lay it over the tote. You have to make sure the panel is smaller than the opening in the tote. In my mind's eye i see a few inches of plywood all around the panel, where the plywood would rest on the rim of the tote.

A small panel could be mounted to the underside of the lid of the tote, but I would call the guys who make the panel to see if the back side of the panel might get too hot for the plastic.
I should have looked at RHP's. I was thinking they may have a lip around the edge to fasten to. But you are right you could by a peice of plywood at home depot. A 2'x2' or 2'x4' and have them cut it down to size needed. Or a 4'x4' if needed. Usually the first cut they do is free and extra cuts are a buck. But I have never been charged for the extra cut.

Redwood City, CA, United States
I used a baby swimming pool when my shell baby was little for grazing. We sold a special tortoise seed at the nursery i work in and threw them in straight up coco coir and he had his own lawn to munch on when it was sunny outside.