Questions concerning UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoiseowner101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Abu Dhabi ,UAE
Are exo terra CFL bulbs safe to use ?
If a CFL bulb is harmful to a tortoise, is it harmful to all other reptiles ?
Are zoo med reptisun CFL bulbs safe to use ?
Are all CFL bulbs harmful to tortoises ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They don't always cause harm, but sometimes they do. I've seen eye damage in green iguanas, bearded dragons and several species of tortoises.

I recommend against all cfl UV bulbs. There are other alternatives like the long tube florescents or mercury vapor bulbs that do not cause these issues. Even better is to build a safe outdoor enclosure and let the sun do its job for your tortoise, so you don't need any artificial UV bulbs.

tortoiseowner101

5 Year Member
Abu Dhabi ,UAE
Thanks everyone
It helped alot

But they told me combine exo terra bulbs with exo terra reptile vision it will be fine

But when I went to our local exo terra shop they told us that in the past bulbs were used for human vision but now they made them specifically for reptile vision

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you haven't figured this out yet, sometimes people selling you stuff in pet stores don't know what they are talking about. Sometimes they just don't have the experience with a given species or product that someone else has. Nobody here stands to gain anything by misinforming you, whether it be from ignorance or not. I don't sell a competing product, or any products at all. I'm just sharing what I have seen and learned, so you don't have to learn it the hard way at the expense of your tortoises eyes.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Pet stores and pet supply stores have one primary agenda: to sell pets and pet supplies. Giving 100% accurate information is not a requirement for them.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Several years ago, one maker made a batch of CFL UVB bulbs that allowed too much of the wrong levels of UV radiation and it badly hurt a lot of tortoises. That issue has been corrected.

Since then, there have been other reported examples of the same issue, but little has been clinically studied as far as I can tell. We have no way of knowing if the bulbs were correctly installed, what the diet or other cares were, etc. so there is a possibility that the bulbs are getting a bad rap.

However- the design of the CFL makes a fairly tight beam of intense light come out the tip, and it is possible that is the problem. This is actually a bad idea for most herps since we want them to sunbathe in a 'pool' of light that their entire body fits in to get both warmth and UVB exposure- not just a tiny hot spot of warm, UVB-rich light.

If you use a CFL, consider mounting it so the SIDES of the bulb are doing the work and the tip is pointed high on a sidewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.