questions for my hermann

sheldon1306

5 Year Member
So I have been reading the forums for a while, and generally browse a ton more than I post, almost a couple years I think. Anyways, I have a eastern hermann, male about 1 year and 9 months old. He is in great health, and has enjoyed the New England summer out on my patio with natural sunlight in his modified tortoise house from zoo-med. So my question is, I am planning a bit more of a permanent enclosure for him, as his current one is falling apart and I'm tired of patching it. It will be 60"x20"x12".

Currently I've been using a 110 watt MVB, sitting on top of the wire of the roof of the enclosure, with a lamp stand as a backup to prevent an accidental fall. I'm curious because the depth from the top of the floor to the ceiling will be 12 inches, how would I go about mounting this bulb inside the enclosure? Or should I go with a uvb strip type lamp mounted to the back wall, with a hardware store bulb mounted to the top of the ceiling in a regular enclosure? He will have a cool hide, that will be built into the enclosure as sort of a cave, and the basking area will be 12" from the ceiling. The top of the cool side will be the roof of his cave, as well as a area to eat as it will be slate. Just curious about the lighting situation. I'll update with pics midweek once I get this rolling along to more than a pile of wood. But I'd like to make this with the idea of the lights in mind! :) Thanks all!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you can make it taller, that would make things easier for you. I do believe, 12 inches is the minimum distance most if not all lights are to be away from a tort

sheldon1306

5 Year Member
That's about right on the money as far as what I've read for an average, I've heard 10-14. Currently it's 12 or so from the face of the bulb to approximately the top of his shell at the highest point of substrate. What I was more wondering is instead of using the mvb, would a UVB light strip mounted on the top back of the enclosure, in a box form so it's about 11 inches be safe enough? I'm more worried about burning the pine box and endangering the tort and my dog among others. The hardware store bulb being mounted so that the bulb is almost like a recessed like would maybe be ok? Just wondering for a safety standpoint more than anything. Or if anyone had pics they could post...

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
UVBs really don't get hot at all. I use a hood for my tube light... But planning on mounting when I finish my table!
UVB's have a maximum distance away too, because the light dissipates after a certain length... so I don't see why that wouldn't work out :D

sheldon1306

5 Year Member
Ok so, the UVB wouldn't really produce heat at all, so it would be fine to be mounted on the back wall. Which type of heat should I use that is fine to put inside of the table under the roof? I have 4 vents that are adjustable to exchange more or less air. 2 in each side and 2 on top. They're commercial hvac ducts, and I can optionally hook up a fan to move air in them if need be.

sheldon1306

5 Year Member
Also, does any one have any information on using a contractors work lamp as a heat source? They sell small ones that will surely provide a good deal of heat and can be angle mounted to cover more distance?

sheldon1306

5 Year Member
just a bump. Wondering what to use as a compact heat lamp? I can have it 13" away from the top of his shell, but not sure what to use to mount it, as in fixture type. Anyone have any ideas on what I could mount to the roof or high on the top side of the enclosure??