Questions (How long without feeding?)

momtobe

I have a few box turtles, some are outside and some are inside, I am currently pregnant and due at the end of the year unless the baby comes early. I have live food in all of the enclosures but I was wondering if the turtles that are inside will be ok while I'm at the hospital having the baby? I'm not going to hibernate them since they are babies/yearlings, I have an UVB/heat lamp and plan on putting them on a timer so they can still get that when needed. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I don't keep box turtles, but I would think healthy turtles/tortoises would be fine even missing a couple-few days feeding. Just be sure to have your automatic timers and such setup and operating before hand so you know they work as intended so while during the delivery/recovery time away you can focus on your newest addition to the herd.

Matt87

I'd just do what cowboy_ken said about having the automatic timers setup and they should be fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
They don't keep you in the hospital very long after giving birth, so I think your in-the-house turtles will be fine. Turn a bunch of worms loose in their habitat and they can hunt worms while you're gone.