Questions regarding the medium Waterland tub as an outdoor slider pond and nesting area

Wayfarin

Location (City and/or State)
Groveton, NH
Hello again folks!

So I was thinking about providing our female RES with a pond where she can come out on land to nest.
She has no mate and has never mated (to my knowledge) but would probably appreciate a nesting area nonetheless, since she has laid eggs in the past in the water (making a huge mess).

While I dream of housing her in a massive fenced-in pond level with the ground where she can roam, swim, and dig freely, practically the most realistic setup that we could provide in our small yard at this time would be a Waterland tub setup.

I've been looking into the medium Waterland tub because there's one for sale near where we live.
I have a few questions regarding the medium (76") Waterland tub.

First of all, what are the dimensions of the deep area? I believe the dimensions of the tub to be 76" long x 35" wide x 24" high, and I believe the water area is around 57" long including the slope/ramp, but how long is the deep area?
Since slider turtles are basically aquatic (barely amphibious), I want to know if the water area is sufficient to satisfy her aquatic behaviors.

Secondly, how high are the walls on the pond side? I believe the medium Waterland tub allows the water to be filled about 11" deep (barely under 12").
How high are the walls above the water level? I wouldn't want the turtle to be able to climb out on floating plants and objects and escape, but I also wouldn't want the water any shallower than maximum depth.

Thirdly, would aquatic plants work as the only filters for a pond this small? I believe the medium Waterland tub is about 65 gallons when filled up to 11" deep.
We don't have any outdoor electricity outlets, and honestly trying to filter the pond would be more of a hassle than would be worthwhile because of all the plant matter and mud (we would add plants for forage as well as filtration).
100% water changes wouldn't be an option either since we would stock the tub with small fish for mosquito control.

Additionally, if anyone has pictures of the medium Waterland tub set up, especially as an outdoor pond, I'd love to see them!
Thanks! God bless!

S2G

AL
The truth is you've reached the point where you need more of a mechanical type filtration. Id look at adding a gfi outlet outside. You dont need mud just sand & gravel. Raise your food in another tub.

That tub is too small imo. Id be looking at used stock tanks if it was me & build your own land area with a ramp. That way you can devote the whole tank to aquatic which she needs. They generate so much waste. Id be looking at 150gal +. You can lookup stock tank examples. Good luck.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240703_095149_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240703_095149_Gallery.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6917.jpg
    IMG_6917.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240518_154042.jpg
    20240518_154042.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

Wayfarin

Groveton, NH
The truth is you've reached the point where you need more of a mechanical type filtration. Id look at adding a gfi outlet outside. You dont need mud just sand & gravel. Raise your food in another tub.

That tub is too small imo. Id be looking at used stock tanks if it was me & build your own land area with a ramp. That way you can devote the whole tank to aquatic which she needs. They generate so much waste. Id be looking at 150gal +. You can lookup stock tank examples. Good luck.
A stock tank was my original plan, but became a challenging concept to modify with a nesting area.

Adding water plants and mud wouldn't be necessary, but would most accurately replicate the habitat of her wild pond slider relatives, which favor muddy, well-vegetated waters, where they feed on the plants and bury themselves in the mud when the temperatures drop.

Have you ever tried using plants for filtration? I've heard of some people having great success with plants alone, but that might only work in larger ponds.

We do have a siphon hose which might come in handy for water changes.

S2G

AL
A stock tank was my original plan, but became a challenging concept to modify with a nesting area.

Adding water plants and mud wouldn't be necessary, but would most accurately replicate the habitat of her wild pond slider relatives, which favor muddy, well-vegetated waters, where they feed on the plants and bury themselves in the mud when the temperatures drop.

Have you ever tried using plants for filtration? I've heard of some people having great success with plants alone, but that might only work in larger ponds.

We do have a siphon hose which might come in handy for water changes.

Yeah I use water lettuce, hyacinth, & floating baskets. Im not sure you have enough surface area in the tub for plant only. Thats why i was suggesting a bigger stock tank. You could build land around it, use a ramp, etc etc.

i have them all around here. They live in a deeper marshy type ponds where lily pads are & in these big creeks along side everything else. When the water drops they leave for a larger body of water. Imo you need more room for your naturalistic idea. Ive raised a bunch, but maybe someone else will chime in with more insight.