Quick question (to disturb tort or not?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomoore30

5 Year Member
This may sound very stupid but often when I go to soak or spray my sulcata, it is in its hide and I don't want to disturb it, should I just leave it alone or is it ok to take him/her out of its hide. I've always thought it was best to leave it be but I thought I would ask for a second opinion

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Knobs of KY
RE: Quick question

personally, I take my Méraddyn out for the soak or sun & grazing time because if I don't he seems to become lethargic, grumpy and won't eat until he soaks :) Hope this helps :)

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA

There are no stupid questions on here!! :) :)
It is a great question! My boxie does this sometimes. She loves to sleep. I usually wake her up and put her in her water bowl. She stays in for awhile and goes back to her hide. :) I think a sulcata needs a lot of moisture so I would wake him up.

snappyturtle

5 Year Member
Quick question

I need to ask a question too

I. Nt sure how to use this would it be okay to do it here I'm new only got my tortoise 2 days ago

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado

For younger tortoises the hydration is important, I would take them out and soak them. When they are older I don't always take them out, if they are really intent on staying put then I don't worry. I have a female russian that spends almost all of her time underground, I take her out once a week/every other week to bathe her and make sure she is still healthy, if I don't I would never see her.

Jomoore30

5 Year Member
Quick question

I just worry cos it's hide it's a safe place and don't want pickles to think he/she isn't safe

Also the fresh water is cold so I can't just move it to that and it doesn't like being soaked, can't get it to over 5 mins cos s/he scrabbled to get out and seems stressed

Oh eating isn't a problem! But I am not always at home to take pickles out at a good time

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado

Don't soak in cold water, that is really bad for them, they are cold blooded and thus need a heat source (the sun in the wild, your heat lamp in the enclosure) to get their blood and body temps where they should be. Cold water will just drop his body temperature, and then he won't be able to digest food. Tortoises don't usually like to be soaked, most of the time they will pace and try to climb out, you just have to deal with that, the movement is actually good for them though, it helps get things moving in their digestive tracks, as long as they are the correct temps that is. Fill a tub with water as deep as the line where top and bottom shell connect and make sure it is warm then leave him in there and just keep an eye on him.

Jomoore30

5 Year Member
Quick question

Yeah, I know about the temp, its just if its ok to take him/her out of its hide that I'm worried about [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Newberry's Mom

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I take Newberry out if I think he should be out. He sometimes acts a little peeved but he gets over it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just go about my business as needed. I soak them when I have time to soak them, so wherever they happen to be hanging out, they are getting soaked. In time they desensitize to handling and its all okay.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
This is a great question! I've wondered this and struggled with it many times.

Personally, since I've moved up to daily soakings, and I have two yearlings, and four hatchlings in my care, at least one or two of them gets disturbed during soak time. For me, it's easiest to make sure they all get a good soak, if I do it at the same time.

Is Pickles a hatchling (great name, by the way....I have a Pickles too)? I know what you mean about his hide being his safe place. I disturb them as little as possible, but since soaks are important, I do if they're not wandering around.

Jomoore30

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies, I did disturb pickles yesterday and s/he didn't seem too grumpy about it, so will continue to do so [TURTLE]

Oh and I think pickles is about 8 months old

Status
Not open for further replies.