Quick replies please!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DolanKoops

5 Year Member
This is my torts wee to me it looks slightly pink but I'm not sure she seems absolutely fine eating like a pig running about as normal I've only had her three days and I've bathed her everyday and the wee has been the same but could it just be the diet the pet shop was giving her weren't great ?
image-1876062243.png

image-3594782758.png

Attachments

• image-2854614208.png
    image-2854614208.png
    179.8 KB · Views: 41

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Those look like urates. Perfectly normal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes when the discharge is mucousy like that it indicates flagellates. A vet would be able to tell you for sure. Its fairly easy to treat with anti-parasite medication.

DolanKoops

5 Year Member
Oh really thanks she seems fine I have been worrying and panicking all day about it I have read some really bad stuff thankyou for the reassurance

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Also, if it's the color you are concerned about, some weeds can do that. For example, dandelion will turn pee pink. I also think it's a good idea to always have a pet store tortoise checked for parasites. It is pretty easy and prevents trouble down the line (and gives peace of mind if it comes up clear).

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
It's a parasite. Parasites are fairly common among herps, especially wild caught tortoises. They're pretty easily treated.

M

Maggie Cummings

I got this from Google...remember google can answer most of your questions...we can too and please continue to ask us your questions, but if you wanted to know the answer to that question at midnight...Google will help...

The flagellates are a grade of organisation. Traditionally, they are those protozoa which spend most of their existence moving or feeding with a small number of flagella. This type of organization is the most widespread among protists. Of the 60 lineages of protists identified among the eukaryotes, 27 satisfy the condition of being a protozoan flagellate. In addition, alveolates and stramenopiles include heterotrophic flagellates, as do several groups often thought of as algae (dinoflagellates, euglenids, and cryptomonads). Some of the amoebae revert to flagellated forms for part of their life history or have non-functional flagella attached to their bodies.

Many parasites which affect human health or economy are flagellates. They include the relatively benign Giardia and the more damaging trypanosomes and leishmaniases. Flagellates are the major consumers of primary and secondary production in aquatic ecosystems - consuming bacteria and other protists and ensuring the recycling of limiting nutrients.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
DolanKoops said:
How do they get flagellates and what isit?

They're protozoans, specifically ones that have tentacle like structures that aid in movement. Protozoans are single cell organisms, many of them are parasitic in nature, things like Giardia lamblia which is found occasionally in dogs and cats. Oftentimes these are passed to pet animals that have been drinking from a water source that other animals have urinated or defecated in, eating rodent defecation, etc. Of course within a group of tortoises, one infected tortoise passing waste materials in the substrate or feeding/drinking areas can infect the rest.

DolanKoops

5 Year Member
In my pics though does my torts wee just look normal because she's acted normal ...

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
DolanKoops said:
In my pics though does my torts wee just look normal because she's acted normal ...

I don't see anything unusual with the urates. Like another user pointed out, sometimes different foods will tint the urates a different color (i.e. dandelion will cause some pink/reddish color, squash can cause a yellow/greenish color). If the tort is feeding and defecating normally, I don't think that you have anything to worry about.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Its urates. I think the pink coloring is coming from your hands... which look pretty darn pink.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
My large sulacatas have the same discharge.. Same color and consistency... And they have all been checked for parasites... So I would venture to say its normal..

DolanKoops

5 Year Member
Oh thanks everyone who has writ on this thread and I feel so much better haha tortoises aye funny things

Oh thanks everyone who has writ on this thread and I feel so much better haha tortoises aye funny things

Status
Not open for further replies.