R.I.P. Corn Dog

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
So so very sorry for your loss. Is is possible she got into some poison outside? Maybe poisonous plant or dog poop with ivermectin in it? I don’t know. Something had to cause her to get sick.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
So so very sorry for your loss. Is is possible she got into some poison outside? Maybe poisonous plant or dog poop with ivermectin in it? I don’t know. Something had to cause her to get sick.

I had that same thought and I’m really pretty careful about checking what plants she had access to and there wasn’t any way she came across and dog poop in her enclosure. The only thing that I’ve been wondering about is if she came into contact with a fire ant mound by chance. We have had some heavy rains a couple days over the past couple weeks and our fire ant populations around my house seem to be massive.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I had that same thought and I’m really pretty careful about checking what plants she had access to and there wasn’t any way she came across and dog poop in her enclosure. The only thing that I’ve been wondering about is if she came into contact with a fire ant mound by chance. We have had some heavy rains a couple days over the past couple weeks and our fire ant populations around my house seem to be massive.
I would think that if fire ants got her you would have noticed bumps or redness.

vvildflower

Texas
I'm so so sorry for your loss.. my Russian once got lost in my 5 acre yard overnight and I was heartbroken. I can't even imagine how it must feel to find her dead[emoji20] and it doesn't sound like it was your fault! you took care of her very well and did the best you could do. it's difficult with torts because they hardly show any symptoms when they're sick. you did the right thing for scheduling the vet appointment, but I'm sorry she wasn't able to make it there.
please don't rehome your other tort! neither of the incidents sound like they were your fault! tortoises are masters of burrowing and escape outdoor enclosures all the time, so that definitely wasn't your fault. and you did your best taking care of Corndog. you sound like a wonderful tortoise parent who has just had sad experiences with them.

Nessa

5 Year Member
Arcadia, CA
So sorry [emoji22]. I have a russian too. They are the best.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Lark_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Ct
I'm so sorry for your loss! That must be so hard! I'm glad she had a good life before she passed. Corn Dog will live on in your heart. :(

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I am so sorry to hear about your tortoise.

I know you are devastated but if you can manage, don’t make any hasty decisions about your male tortoise. Give yourself time to grieve.

N

no one

So sorry for your loss!! It is the pain speaking right know, please don't make a hasty decision like others said aswell. I know how it feels. The hurt of loosing and to go doubting yourselve after the loss... Take the time to grief. I think you if you did rehome your Russian male you would regret it in time. Take care...

Ronnycyr

Central CA
It’s a very sad day for me, I just got home from work and since it’s so nice out I thought I’d let my female Russian, Corn Dog, outside to roam and enjoy the sun for a little bit. I reached into her log hide and pulled her out with less resistance than usual. I didn’t really think much of it until I started to head outside and realized she wasn’t moving. Turns out she died sometime between the time I left for work this morning and just now. I don’t know what happened or why she died. Guess I’ll be digging her a small grave tonight.

R.I.P.
Corn Dog
4/16/18View attachment 236224View attachment 236225View attachment 236226
I’m so sorry! My name is Ronny and I’m new, but my heart is broken for you! I have a little Russian girl named Turbo and I can’t even imagine how devastated I’d be! So sorry for Corn Dog! Take care!

M

Maggie Cummings

It’s a very sad day for me, I just got home from work and since it’s so nice out I thought I’d let my female Russian, Corn Dog, outside to roam and enjoy the sun for a little bit. I reached into her log hide and pulled her out with less resistance than usual. I didn’t really think much of it until I started to head outside and realized she wasn’t moving. Turns out she died sometime between the time I left for work this morning and just now. I don’t know what happened or why she died. Guess I’ll be digging her a small grave tonight.

R.I.P.
Corn Dog
4/16/18View attachment 236224View attachment 236225View attachment 236226

It's going to be 3 years this August since Bob (125lb 17 yr old Sulcata) died. Please accept my condolences, Regardless what people say, time does not make it better. I hurt badly about losing him and still cry about it. Maybe Corn Dog was simply old. I personally feel for you as I intimately know how you feel. Don't stress yourself trying to find out why....a Veterinarian killed Bob, and it doesn't feel any better to know why....my sympathy is with you. Don't doubt yourself. We need good keepers. When Bob died I wanted to find homes for all of my 20 chelonia. Don't make any hasty decisions. I do have 2 yearling Sulcata for adoption, :) nothing makes you think about something else than a destructive Sulcata

Last edited by a moderator:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am very sorry you lost Corn Dog. It would be very good to find the reason, but you may never know.
All the best in the future!

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
Thank you all for your kind words and sentiments, I decided not to have a necropsy performed on her as I didn’t want to burry her knowing she had been dissected. As much as I’d have like to have known the cause of death I couldn’t have her treated like the frog I cut apart in the 7th grade. I know I gave her the best care I possibly could and that while she seemed to hate me with every fiber of her little body I cared a great deal about her. She is now buried in the field she loved to roam around in so much. I still have my little male, Velociraptor, and even though my dog Raider gets super jealous when I spend what he deems to much time with the tort, V, will get my undivided tort attention.

Salspi

Chicago
I remember hearing about a romaine lettuce E. Coli recall. I know it’s not probable but did you feed romaine?

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
I remember hearing about a romaine lettuce E. Coli recall. I know it’s not probable but did you feed romaine?

Very rarely, I try not to give it to my torts very often as it doesn’t have much nutrients to it. My boy loves it so he gets a little once a week as a treat.

Salspi

Chicago
I just meant if you had given it to him in the days prior to passing