Re-Hydrating Bug Joints ?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Is it possible to soften dried dead insects to reposition them ? My grandson has a small collection of bugs from last summer that if possible I would like to try to set up for him to save, Right now they are in the position they were in when he found them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh my lord in heaven! Now I think I've read it all, LOL!!!

Why don't you pick one of the more common ones in the collection and give it a try? How about baby oil instead of water? I've never ever thought about this subject. Geez Louise! Let us know how it goes. And when you get it all set up, I'd love to see the result.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I know that there is a solution used by butterfly collectors to do just that sort of thing. Do a search for something along those parameters. (Butterfly/insect softening solution.)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Interesting, Cameron...thanks for that link. I wonder if the moth ball trick can be used in an incubator with tortoise eggs and not be harmful to the eggs. Hum-m-m...

No, on second thought, the bugs are dead, but the fumes from the moth balls might harm a living embryo. Scratch that thought.

Last edited:

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Thanks, except for the mothballs I already have whats needed to experiment on a couple of the more common bugs. By reading some of the information on that link they make it sound simple and easy I bet it wont be that simple or easy for me and a four year old but should be fun to attempt. a bad pic of some of the dead bugs we havePicture 002 copy.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Relaxing Dried Specimens

After insects are dead, they become extremely brittle. However, dried specimens can always be relaxed and mounted in any desired position. The only potential drawback is mold. Relaxing jars can be made from jars, plastic boxes, or any other airtight containers. These containers are partially filled with sand or paper towels and then water is added to make conditions in the box very humid. The only other concern before adding dried specimens is adding a substance to prohibit the growth of mold on the specimen. The ideal fungicide is chlorocresol, sold through chemical supply houses. Some companies have specialized "relaxing fluid" such as Glanz relaxing fluid distributed by Bryanston Corp., N.Y. However, in a pinch, Lysol can be used. The time required to relax a specimen will vary and depend upon the specimen's size, the level of humidity in the relaxing jar, and the storage temperature. Don't be impatient. However, if any mold begins to form, remove the specimen immediately. If you are in an extreme hurry or can not find a mold inhibitor, the specimen can be relaxed in one minute by holding its body in a pan of boiling water, being careful not to get the wings wet or burning your fingers.