Re-Seed 4 The Redfoots and More ....

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Time to re-seed for the Cherries and Red's at Tortoise Cove'
I have to do sections at a time and block off a couple weeks till new grass "takes root".....if not the Red's just rip it out of the ground - roots and all....with a smile on their face. They love to graze on this grass thru out the day.

A very Nice Hibi' in bloom still....and the ponds are kickin'

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Time to re-seed for the Cherries and Red's at Tortoise Cove'
I have to do sections at a time and block off a couple weeks till new grass "takes root".....if not the Red's just rip it out of the ground - roots and all....with a smile on their face. They love to graze on this grass thru out the day.

A very Nice Hibi' in bloom still....and the ponds are kickin'
Very nice, what type of grass is it that they graze on, and don't say green. Lol :D

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very nice, what type of grass is it that they graze on, and don't say green. Lol :D
Ha Ha ......"Green" <~~~~~ I like that !:D

Any how ....it's a mixture of a few "seed" including : Gulf Annual Rye Grass , Terrabar Italian Rye Grass, Baron Kentucky Rye Grass, Bar LM 95 Rye Grass, Panterra V Rye Grass and good Ol' Bermuda Grass. The varieties chosen are for the "Winter Time" which are not too bad where I live, but it does cool down considerably at night time. Another factor is the sun changes ( or tilt of the earth) warming and shadowed areas to change within the Cove'. Starting the upcoming winter season these varieties of grasses prefer the cooler and darker areas. This mix also has a very fast germination time with about 3-5 days and at this time (no frost but cool) a "warmer" ground helps jump-start the process. It's like a 50/50 bar ....;)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Ha Ha ......"Green" <~~~~~ I like that !:D

Any how ....it's a mixture of a few "seed" including : Gulf Annual Rye Grass , Terrabar Italian Rye Grass, Baron Kentucky Rye Grass, Bar LM 95 Rye Grass, Panterra V Rye Grass and good Ol' Bermuda Grass. The varieties chosen are for the "Winter Time" which are not too bad where I live, but it does cool down considerably at night time. Another factor is the sun changes ( or tilt of the earth) warming and shadowed areas to change within the Cove'. Starting the upcoming winter season these varieties of grasses prefer the cooler and darker areas. This mix also has a very fast germination time with about 3-5 days and at this time (no frost but cool) a "warmer" ground helps jump-start the process. It's like a 50/50 bar ....;)
Thanks. Very informative. I new you wouldn't just be sticking any old seed in there. :D
So what about grass for growing indoors :eek: at tropical temp. 80f ish. That they will eat. Some grasses are classed as sweet grass. Does this literally mean, its sweet in taste.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have only heard of one of those grasses. Well I have heard of rye, but never realized there were so many kinds, Is it easily found there? Just incase other RF owners near are wondering:D.
That flower is so perfect looking and beautiful, it almost looks fake.
Cold, hmmm, how cold do you usually get? Does it get cold enough that you have to cover plants?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
time to spread your seed until your sack is empty.....

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I have only heard of one of those grasses. Well I have heard of rye, but never realized there were so many kinds, Is it easily found there? Just incase other RF owners near are wondering:D.
That flower is so perfect looking and beautiful, it almost looks fake.
Cold, hmmm, how cold do you usually get? Does it get cold enough that you have to cover plants?
Well Barb ...there are 100's of Rye Grasses that have been developed. Annual and Italian ryegrasses are used for short-term forage and perennial ryegrass for long-term. Here is a good link for info and ordering seeds. https://hancockseed.com/seed-varieties-241/ryegrass-seed-433/
I only remember frost on 2 occasions in the last 50 years here, both have been in El Nino years , which I expect from all the Hype about this winter. Back in 2006 I lost about 100 plumies because of the cold. They cannot tolerate it just as our shelled friends. Now if expecting a super cold front with frost, I house the "exotic plants" within a temp green house you can find at Harbor freight. The torts already have a custom built house ...so they are good to go . Thanks for the kuddo's on the Hibiscus ....it happens to be one of my favorite colors indeed~;)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Thanks. Very informative. I new you wouldn't just be sticking any old seed in there. :D
So what about grass for growing indoors :eek: at tropical temp. 80f ish. That they will eat. Some grasses are classed as sweet grass. Does this literally mean, its sweet in taste.
Yes you can grow grass indoors...and there are certain types that do better than others, but your main concern is proper lighting/spectrum to achieve this. The plant sensitivity curve for photosynthesis has its peak at the red end of the spectrum (675nm)
1. METAL HALIDE LAMPS - This type of light is blue-orientated in the spectrum. It is the best type of light to be used as a primary light source (if no or little natural sunlight is available). This type of lamp promotes plant growth.

2. HIGH PRESSURE SODIUM LAMPS - These lamps are red/orange in the spectrum. They are the best lamps available for secondary or supplementary lighting (used in conjunction with natural sunlight). This" type of light promotes flowering/budding in plants. It is ideal for Greenhouses/Commercial growing applications.

3. CONVERSION LAMPS - There are two types:

A. Sodium Lamps which run on halide ballasts - more common.
B. Halide Lamps which run on sodium ballasts.

This type of lamp allows you to tailor the light source to the growth stage of the plant (again using halide blue light for growth and sodium red light for flowering/budding) merely by changing lamps.

4. FLUORESCENT - This type of light is perfect for starts and seedlings but is a poor light source for growth and budding primarily because of low lumen output.

5. INCANDESCENT - Does not require a ballast. These lamps consist of Sylvania Spot Gro R-30 and R-40 flood lamps available in 75 watt and 150 watt. Also good for starts and seedlings. Good lamp for individual plants or small groups of plants. Provides an inexpensive alternative to HID lamps (Halide and Sodium lamps are referred to as High Intensity Discharge Lamps).

Sweet grass is a perennial plant of the grass family (Poaceae).
Sweet grass....It is especially special among the native tribes of North American and there are traditions of using this grass not only for religious ceremonies, but also to a certain extent for medicinal purposes. Sweet grass contains coumarin, which gives the plant its characteristic scent. Coumarin has blood-thinning properties and some research has shown that coumarin and related compounds can be effective in reducing high-protein edemas, especially lymphedema...on the other hand Coumarins are toxic substances that are known to be carcinogenic in large doses/ Other common names include: Holy grass, myskgräs, festgræs, reyrgresi, buffalo grass, vanilla grass, vanilla-scented grass, manna grass, Russian buffalo grass, seneca grass, zebrovka, zubrowski, duftendes mariengras, mariengras, hierochloé odorant, hierba de la virgin.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yes you can grow grass indoors...and there are certain types that do better than others, but your main concern is proper lighting/spectrum to achieve this. The plant sensitivity curve for photosynthesis has its peak at the red end of the spectrum (675nm)
1. METAL HALIDE LAMPS - This type of light is blue-orientated in the spectrum. It is the best type of light to be used as a primary light source (if no or little natural sunlight is available). This type of lamp promotes plant growth.

2. HIGH PRESSURE SODIUM LAMPS - These lamps are red/orange in the spectrum. They are the best lamps available for secondary or supplementary lighting (used in conjunction with natural sunlight). This" type of light promotes flowering/budding in plants. It is ideal for Greenhouses/Commercial growing applications.

This type of lamp allows you to tailor the light source to the growth stage of the plant (again using halide blue light for growth and sodium red light for flowering/budding) merely by changing lamps.

4. FLUORESCENT - This type of light is perfect for starts and seedlings but is a poor light source for growth and budding primarily because of low lumen output.

5. INCANDESCENT - Does not require a ballast. These lamps consist of Sylvania Spot Gro R-30 and R-40 flood lamps available in 75 watt and 150 watt. Also good for starts and seedlings. Good lamp for individual plants or small groups of plants. Provides an inexpensive alternative to HID lamps (Halide and Sodium lamps are referred to as High Intensity Discharge Lamps).

Sweet grass....It is especially special among the native tribes of North American and there are traditions of using this grass not only for religious ceremonies, but also to a certain extent for medicinal purposes. Sweet grass contains coumarin, which gives the plant its characteristic scent. Coumarin has blood-thinning properties and some research has shown that coumarin and related compounds can be effective in reducing high-protein edemas, especially lymphedema...on the other hand Coumarins are toxic substances that are known to be carcinogenic in large doses/ Other common names include: Holy grass, myskgräs, festgræs, reyrgresi, buffalo grass, vanilla grass, vanilla-scented grass, manna grass, Russian buffalo grass, seneca grass, zebrovka, zubrowski, duftendes mariengras, mariengras, hierochloé odorant, hierba de la virgin.
Am I right in saying the sodium give out a more localised beam of light, where as the Halide type has a larger spread, but deteriorates faster. Also sodiums don't blow, so not needing a safety glass cover.
Where do the new LED type lights fit in, are these any good for growing? They don't give off heat just light so no wasted energy.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

These are what I was thinking of using. Probably 10 of them. I also have natural light from windows and will have UVB for 4hrs a day ish.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Energy-sa...cf4f77&pid=100338&rk=8&rkt=19&sd=321856508532

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
well....not so much a "beam/intensity" of light but the actual light (wave length).The visible light spectrum is a very small part of our giant electromagnetic spectrum. The visible light spectrum emits light in red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet colors. Colors on either end of the spectrum play the greatest role in plant growth and flowering, while the yellow and green wavelengths play a lesser role. Plants use wavelengths between 400 and 700 nanometers (nm) for photosynthesis, which provides for all the energy needs of the plant. Sunlight is the best light source for plants and naturally provides all of these wavelengths. Different wavelengths are used for specific plant functions, but all wavelengths in this range are absorbed in varying amounts
The longer wavelengths of light are red in color. The most important wavelengths in the red spectrum are from 640 to 680 nm. These wavelengths encourage stem growth, flowering and fruit production, and chlorophyll production. The red wavelengths are known as warm light and they are naturally more prevalent in sunlight during the shorter days of fall and winter. Sunlight provides far greater intensity than artificial lighting. Not all plants need the same light intensities. Some plants prefer the high intensity of full sun, while others prefer moderate sun or shade. In artificial lighting, the plant needs to be close to the light for highest light intensity.....and lets not forget duration of light. Both MH and HPS in the old days required their own ballast to operate. Both got hot as hell , but no cover was needed for either (just don't touch them). Blubs are large, fragile and not cheap. Current day there are several new bulbs EX; no ballast required. LED and so called "grow lights you see at Home Depot ect....well they run cooler, last longer and are cheap. Great for starting seedlings or germination (with under ground heat). For growing grasses indoors they may suffice, but I have not used them.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
well....not so much a "beam/intensity" of light but the actual light (wave length).The visible light spectrum is a very small part of our giant electromagnetic spectrum. The visible light spectrum emits light in red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet colors. Colors on either end of the spectrum play the greatest role in plant growth and flowering, while the yellow and green wavelengths play a lesser role. Plants use wavelengths between 400 and 700 nanometers (nm) for photosynthesis, which provides for all the energy needs of the plant. Sunlight is the best light source for plants and naturally provides all of these wavelengths. Different wavelengths are used for specific plant functions, but all wavelengths in this range are absorbed in varying amounts
The longer wavelengths of light are red in color. The most important wavelengths in the red spectrum are from 640 to 680 nm. These wavelengths encourage stem growth, flowering and fruit production, and chlorophyll production. The red wavelengths are known as warm light and they are naturally more prevalent in sunlight during the shorter days of fall and winter. Sunlight provides far greater intensity than artificial lighting. Not all plants need the same light intensities. Some plants prefer the high intensity of full sun, while others prefer moderate sun or shade. In artificial lighting, the plant needs to be close to the light for highest light intensity.....and lets not forget duration of light. Both MH and HPS in the old days required their own ballast to operate. Both got hot as hell , but no cover was needed for either (just don't touch them). Blubs are large, fragile and not cheap. Current day there are several new bulbs EX; no ballast required. LED and so called "grow lights you see at Home Depot ect....well they run cooler, last longer and are cheap. Great for starting seedlings or germination (with under ground heat). For growing grasses indoors they may suffice, but I have not used them.
Thanks Jeff. I walk away more educated. :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Love that hibiscus variety. Have you tried growing them from cuttings?

AnimalLady

I just thought you should know~~~

I bought TWO hibiscus plants and some grass seeds this weekend BECAUSE OF THIS POST! lol!!!