Ready to lay........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil-Star

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
My Indian star is finally ready to lay, any advice/tips are appreciated :)

For around 2 years now my male aged approx 7 and around 6" has been ready, the first year he was using the wrong end, this last year has been mainly slip matings with 1/2 being in the right place and followed through, the latest being Aug 6/7th.

For the last few days the female aged around 10 and 8-9" has been pacing and sniffing the ground, digging a little but nothing major.

Today we found her digging a large hole with her back legs, I tried moving her to the much deeper lay box and she was having none of it and since being returned to her enclosure has again settled down into a steady digging position in the same spot as before with her back legs.

Sound like a tester or the real thing???

1.1.0 - Indian Stars

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Wow, I'm so excited for you!!!

Any chance if there are live hatching I can get in on the excitement? [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] Only place I can find them to buy is scary big online brokers. Yuck. Hoping to find a TFO breeder. Loved stars for YEARS!!!
Now that I'm into tort ownership, I HAVE to have one!!

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No way to know. Sometimes they lay in the first hole they dig and other times they'll dig 10 test holes first. I would definitely NOT disturb her again though. You don't want to freak her out and have her retain those eggs. Just go about the usual routine and don't change anything.

Lil-Star

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks Tom have done just that :)

And yes my incubator is custom made and viewable without opening it so IF her first ever clutch are fertile there will be live hatching updates :)

1.1.0 - Indian Stars

Lil-Star

5 Year Member
UK
We have 3 perfect eggs, each 5cm in length and 23, 25 and 26g in weight.

Incubating at 31c and 80% humidity.

1.1.0 - Indian Stars

Lil-Star

5 Year Member
UK
I've read in anything from 1-6 weeks they can lay again, is that common in first year breeders though?

1.1.0 - Indian Stars

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Lil-Star said:
I've read in anything from 1-6 weeks they can lay again, is that common in first year breeders though?

1.1.0 - Indian Stars

You may get a little less production in a first timer, but that is not guaranteed. I would start watching her closely in a couple of weeks onward. My bigger female star laid four (three were recovered) large eggs a week and a half ago and I will see if she has any more presents ready for me in another three-ish weeks from now. She is a hair over ten inches scl at present.

Lil-Star

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you for the answers :) xx

1.1.0 - Indian Stars

Lil-Star

5 Year Member
UK
The eggs all now have a whiter area on the shell and a darker space inside at the top when candled :D

1.1.0 - Indian Stars

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
If I can give you one tidbit of advice when incubating eggs.
Ready?
LEAVE THEM ALONE!~~~~~~~ lol

There is absolutely nothing you can do to MAKE them hatch, hatch FASTER, or hatch BETTER(fertility rate).
More harm can be done candling them.(rotating them, dropping them), etc.
I leave them alone, calculate approximate hatch date and start to check them a few weeks prior to when I think they may hatch.
I know it's easier said than done, but I would try to leave them be and let nature take it's course.
Good luck though and congrats!
Scott

burger

10 Year Member!
I had 4 eggs from my 2200g female last night. in the incubator now, but don't expect anything because my male just not interesting my female and never seen he to mount female , anything I can do to make he interesting female ? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.