Really need help. So stressed about tortoise enclosure!

Tortoisegirl97

Hi all,

I want to replace my Horsfield's enclosure because he seems to be out growing it. His shell is only 3 inches big so I am wondering what size my enclosure needs to be. I want a plastic storage box to keep him in because I find the wood difficult to maintain and has some mould growth. As he is so small, I don't think he needs a huge enclosure. I have found a 70 litre Really Useful Box and was wondering if that is okay for him in terms of space. It's internal dimensions are 71cm by 54.5cm so he would have an area of about 3869.5 square cm. The other box I found was the 77 litre Christmas tree box with internal measurements of 113.5 cm by 23.3 cm so it is a lot narrower but gives more space. WHAT DO I DO?!!? If anyone has any other ideas or boxes please show me, however I live in England so some links might not work for me.

Thank you xx

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Russians wander miles a day in the wild. The little boxes you have found are okay for a hatchling, but at 3" and growing, you need something much bigger. I usually suggest something 244x122cm, like a sheet of plywood with walls. Wood is the most practical thing to build a larger enclosure with, but large plastic tubs can sometimes be found online too. Many people build their tables from wood and then paint the inside with an exterior grade paint to keep moisture out of the wood. A large horse watering trough would work for you too. Those can be purchased at live stock supply stores in either plastic or metal, so no mold.

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I've had really good success using marine paint. I painted the horse jumps with it (left out in the elements) and the interior of the chicken coop (with repeated hosings and disinfectings) and it's holding out remarkably well.

I would just make sure if you use marine paint, to let it air and cure for a long time before using the enclosure.

If you prefer the look of wood and want it sealed, oil-based polyurethane will work. Again, let it air and cure for a long time before using as a habitat.

Another option is lining the bottom with linoleum (real linoleum).