Rearranging Habitats

Do you rearrange the items in your tortoise(s)'s enclosure?

• Yes

• No

• I've never thought about it

Results are only viewable after voting.

ChloeCrull

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, California
Hello, fellow tortoise lovers!

This is my very first post on these forums, so I am quite excited. My name is Chloe and I am currently living in Fresno, California. During my free-time, I am an active writer and a mother of two Russian tortoises, Harold and Hazel.

i have had Harold (he's approximately 3 years-old) since January 26th of this year (nearly 11 months) and Hazel (she's approximately 1 year-old) since September 19 of this year (barely two months). Their diet is balanced with a healthy variety of correct greenery and topped off with the appropriate amount of calcium—and 24/7 access to water, of course!

The only "concern" that I have is their habitat. It's perfectly large, approximately 6 feet long and 2 feet across (I have two Zoo-Med Tortoise Houses connected to each other) and they receive the necessary lighting. However, I was wondering if I should rearrange the items in their environment, such as the food dish, their regular sleeping logs, and any other "furniture" around them.

Do any of you move the items around in your tortoises' homes, or does it create a large amount of stress for them? Is it better for them to memorize and become familiar with their surroundings and locations of their favorite toys and items?

Thank you for taking the time to browse through this thread. I sincerely appreciate any feedback or ideas given! Have a lovely day, and keep those shells warm!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Tortoises are sight orientated, rearranging puts undue stress on them.
Salutations.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Salutations.
I like this concept of undue stress. It fired up the neural transmitters still firing in my brain case and made me wonder if this might also cause the tortoise to perhaps wonder if they may now need to defend new space from other tortoises that maybe lurking. Or if they've somehow been transported into an established tortoises territory and may themselves need to be on guard.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. I also have a Russian tortoise. I would suggest that you separate them into two enclosures, pairs of Russians don't do well over time. A large outdoor enclosure with lots of site barriers may work.but if you live where it's cold that's not an option right now :) as far as rearranging their "furniture" I personally think that it doesn't hurt anything if done occasionally, like once or twice a year. I do try to keep one hide in the same place however if they use it all the time.I think all living animals need mental stimulation, new things to look at and walk around and over are good for them. I put the food in different places around the enclosure sometimes so she has to go look for it. Check out the Russian tortoise section for a lot of great information on enclosures, diet etc.post some pictures, we love pictures around here

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I like this concept of undue stress. It fired up the neural transmitters still firing in my brain case and made me wonder if this might also cause the tortoise to perhaps wonder if they may now need to defend new space from other tortoises that maybe lurking. Or if they've somehow been transported into an established tortoises territory and may themselves need to be on guard.
Entirely possible sir. nice thought out theory.

EP429

5 Year Member
Central Texas
I just replaced the hide in my redfoot's enclosure and did a little rearranging, they did seem a bit on edge about it, even though the entire other side of their enclosure was untouched.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
No, not really :D
My russian has his routine down pat, travels to this area at this time and so on. I feel like it if I messed with it, he'd have to start all over again and wouldn't take it too kindly :)

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
Thank you to everyone who responded to this post!

Salutations.

I will definitely keep this in mind! I will not be rearranging their enclosure anytime soon.

Very interesting point, Cowboy_Ken! I could understand how they would mistake the area for "new territory" and be more alert or aggressive to protect their home.

Entirely possible sir. nice thought out theory.

Agreed!

I just replaced the hide in my redfoot's enclosure and did a little rearranging, they did seem a bit on edge about it, even though the entire other side of their enclosure was untouched.

Wow! I can't believe that such a minor change would upset them; I'll definitely be cautious when cleaning and moving objects.

No, not really :D
My russian has his routine down pat, travels to this area at this time and so on. I feel like it if I messed with it, he'd have to start all over again and wouldn't take it too kindly :)

I'm glad that your tortoise seems to enjoy his daily walk! Thank you for your input; I'll be careful not to disturb their home.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
And Chloe,
Myself, and many others here on the forum I'm sure, appreciate the dedication you show and demonstrate in regard towards your tortoises. You should make your folks proud!

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
And Chloe,
Myself, and many others here on the forum I'm sure, appreciate the dedication you show and demonstrate in regard towards your tortoises. You should make your folks proud!

Thank you, Ken! This forum is a wonderful community, and I am happy to be surrounded by reptile lovers that constantly show knowledge and passion for their pets.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Don't thank me. I had nothing to do with how you've turned out. Thank yourself, your folks, and any teachers along your way that helped you develop a “Kinship with all life". Hold those people close to you.