Recent Deluge

chuckster548

10 Year Member!
Good morning, just a quick question. I have 4 DT's and last nite we had a massive storm that dumped almost 3 inches of rain. Long story short, burrows flooded but when I went out at 4 AM, the enclosure was flooded, their burrows not even locatable but I found one DT in a box on top, another in another box and two under a creosote bush. It is still raining, although not hard but my question is should I not worry about them today, calls for more rain, or should I gather them up put them in a warm dry box or should I just let nature do it's thing. I have a habit of babying them more that I should.
Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.
Oh yeah I am in Phoenix Arizona
Peace,
the Chuckster

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I'd gather them up and bring them in and keep them safe and sound. The outdoor enclosure is not their real native, natural habitat and they can't walk for miles to move out of harm's way. Since they can't move out, I think it's your responsibility to safeguard them during this inclement weather spell.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
While the water is still in your yard, Look around for the high points to build them safer burrows. The winter rains can flood just the same if you let them hibernate in those burrows there could be a problem.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'd let them be if I were you, but cover up their burros. It's drying out now, but there may be more rain later.

The rain is good for your tortoises, and since we still have summer heat, the temperatures are not cool enough to be a danger to your tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would make sure they can't get back down into the burrows, provide an above-the-ground hiding place for temporary shelter, and just leave them outside.

chuckster548

10 Year Member!
First thanks for all the responses. I did go out and gather them up brought into garage and they weren't happy. Kept them in for a while and then put back out. I cleaned their burrows, as best as I could, and observed. Two share a burrow and the other two swap. But one burrow took awhile to dry out so one stayed up at nite but always managed to be under ground somewhere. Long story short they are fine nature rules. Have a great day.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
My sister lives in Mesa and had to bring her tortoises in. Her whole backyard had standing water. Everyone now seems no worse for the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
I bring mine in and put them in the guest bathroom (one in the tub and the other free in the bathroom) until the storm passes and the water absorbs from their enclosures. Usually, just a matter of a few hours. The last storm wasn't bad here at all, but I did tarp down their enclosures in preparation for a big storm. Had to laugh, when I decided to uncover their enclosures due to minimal amounts of sprinkles. Of course the rain came then! Tarps went back out, Plus I had a rescue Sulcata here to care for as well, built him a quick lean to for shelter. Thankfully, didn't need to move any of them inside for the night.