Recent experience with sick star tortoise

Brian Perry

I'm providing this information in the event that anyone else should encounter a similar problem. I have seven star tortoises divided between two enclosures in my garage. Two of them are male siblings that I purchased approximately six years ago. They have always been healthy. About a month ago, one of them stopped eating and moved to the cool end of the tank, away from the basking lamps. The eyes were closed and sunken and he refused to move. After observing him for about a week, I began a series of warm water soaks. During the third session, he submerged his head and appeared to take several large gulps of water. This seemed to perk him up somewhat. During the next soak, I immersed him in a combination of warm distilled water and baby vegetables for about twenty minutes. I then rinsed him for an additional ten minutes in warm tap water. The following day, he seemed much more active, was nibbling food and returned to basking under the heat lamps. He now appears to be back to normal. I feel like I dodged the bullet on this one.

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
How high is the humidity in the enclosures of your tortoises and have they daily accsess to fresh water ? Could the sick tort be dehydrated ?

Brian Perry

I agree that dehydration seems likely. I have no idea what the RH is inside the tank, but water is always available. I also feed them organic romaine lettuce twice per week in the belief that the water content will keep them hydrated. I have never been devoted to routine soakings because it seemed to agitate them. I would only soak occasionally. Moving forward, they will all be soaked 1-2x per week.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some of them need to be soaked daily, while some of them seem to realize they need to get drinks on their own. From now on it would be in his best interest to have a daily soak every morning.

Bee62

Germany
I agree that dehydration seems likely. I have no idea what the RH is inside the tank, but water is always available. I also feed them organic romaine lettuce twice per week in the belief that the water content will keep them hydrated. I have never been devoted to routine soakings because it seemed to agitate them. I would only soak occasionally. Moving forward, they will all be soaked 1-2x per week.

Knowing the humidity where your torts live is important and easy...
A hygrometer shows you reliable if your torts live in humid conditions or not. If you keep them to dry they are in danger to get bladder stones. I would not keep my tortoises with this risk.

Brian Perry

Some of them need to be soaked daily, while some of them seem to realize they need to get drinks on their own. From now on it would be in his best interest to have a daily soak every morning.

Thank you for your insight. I believe what you say and will definitely be soaking more frequently.

Brian Perry

Knowing the humidity where your torts live is important and easy...
A hygrometer shows you reliable if your torts live in humid conditions or not. If you keep them to dry they are in danger to get bladder stones. I would not keep my tortoises with this risk.

I do understand that there are devices that will allow humidity to be measured. I would certainly agree that star hatchlings should be provided with warmth and humidity. However, I remain ambivalent about providing sub adults and adults with a humid environment. Most of the literature tends to suggest minimizing humidity.

Bee62

Germany
I do understand that there are devices that will allow humidity to be measured. I would certainly agree that star hatchlings should be provided with warmth and humidity. However, I remain ambivalent about providing sub adults and adults with a humid environment. Most of the literature tends to suggest minimizing humidity.

How old are your tortoises ? Can you upload some pics of them ? They are "beauties" in my eyes with the lines and pattern on their shell.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Brian

I think you will find the newest information from keepers who are now consistently producing smoother, more natural looking tortoises, does show humidity is of great benefit to all tortoises, no matter the age. It is simply much more apparent in young tortoises as their shell forms and is so susceptible to pyramiding. However the same environment that allows the young tortoise to thrive, also does the same for an adult. They spend their lives becoming masters of microclimates and hiding from the drier times. Why would we want to create in captivity, a "climate" that in nature, they would be spending their time and energy to try to avoid? Aestivation, hibernation, burrowing, digging pallets, hiding in brush/under leaves, buring in soil, soaking in puddles...

A lot of the old, outdated information is also because of incorrect assumptions about humidity and respiratory complications. Warm must go with humid. Cold and humid is a problem. Warm and humid is where tortoises thrive.

Brian Perry

Brian

I think you will find the newest information from keepers who are now consistently producing smoother, more natural looking tortoises, does show humidity is of great benefit to all tortoises, no matter the age. It is simply much more apparent in young tortoises as their shell forms and is so susceptible to pyramiding. However the same environment that allows the young tortoise to thrive, also does the same for an adult. They spend their lives becoming masters of microclimates and hiding from the drier times. Why would we want to create in captivity, a "climate" that in nature, they would be spending their time and energy to try to avoid? Aestivation, hibernation, burrowing, digging pallets, hiding in brush/under leaves, buring in soil, soaking in puddles...

A lot of the old, outdated information is also because of incorrect assumptions about humidity and respiratory complications. Warm must go with humid. Cold and humid is a problem. Warm and humid is where tortoises thrive.

Hello Mark:

Thank you for your astute commentary. I am reconsidering this matter. I do understand that humid + cold is taboo. The question is how to implement without creating another problem. Ambient humidity appeared to be satisfactory until this particular event. At any rate, I am very appreciative for the helpful comments which all of you have contributed and my thinking on this matter has definitely been expanded. I will post pictures soon.

Brian Perry

How old are your tortoises ? Can you upload some pics of them ? They are "beauties" in my eyes with the lines and pattern on their shell.

These are the four adults/sub adults. Two males and two females. Females are at the 4:00 and 10:00 positions. I also have three smaller ones...two males and one female in another habitat.

image.jpg

Brian Perry

image.jpg image.jpg
Really beautiful tortoises ! Their shell looks like painted.

These are the three juveniles. The female is at 12:00. Of all my stars, this female is my favorite. She has a very round shape and six vertebral scutes.