Scollins17

Location (City and/or State)
Gilbert AZ
Hi Everyone I have a 2 year old Marginated tortoise.
Has always been very active. I went on vacation for 4 days, came back and the last couple days he wont come out of his shell for anything. Wont bask, eat or drink. I left him a whole head of lettuce and a full dish of water. He ate most of the lettuce. He also has a basking light on a timer. Just digs a hole and wont come out. I saw him pee once and he defacated only one time.

Did I overfeed him? Is he just constipated?

-normally feed him dark mixed spring greens, herbs, weeds, and pellets. Occasionally give him lettuce.
-His enclosure is big enough for his size. Upgraded couple months ago.
- Substrate cocnut coir and cypress
- shallow water dish
-Basking bulb makes warm side about 93-98.
-cool side 78
-Night time temps are low 70s
-humidity is 85+/- at night and 65ish during day.

He is soaking in shallow, warm water right now. And normally after a few minutes tries to get out of the bin, but is just sitting there this time. He did poke his legs and head out a bit.

I've never seen this behavior from him before and am worried he may be sick or dying. If anyone can give me advice I would really appreciate it. I'm worried.

*Also his head appears to bob up/down when he breathes but I read on here years ago that's normal*

Here his a picture of him after his soak:
20220720_160035.jpg

Last edited:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi! I'm sorry your baby doesn't seem to be feeling well.

I don't know much about marginated torts, but for a 2 year old, your temps sound just a bit cool to me. Maybe you could double-check them with this care sheet. Two years in tort time is still a baby, so he should be housed as one.

I'm sure someone who knows marginated will chime in later this evening.

Scollins17

Gilbert AZ
Hi! I'm sorry your baby doesn't seem to be feeling well.

I don't know much about marginated torts, but for a 2 year old, your temps sound just a bit cool to me. Maybe you could double-check them with this care sheet. Two years in tort time is still a baby, so he should be housed as one.

I'm sure someone who knows marginated will chime in later this evening.
Thanks, I've tried extremely hard to take the best care I can of this tortoise. I love the little guy and hope he will be alright. Thank you for your input.