Eating less, less active.

frankie_is_the_best

Location (City and/or State)
Plainfield, Illinois
I have a 6-8 month old sulcata tortoise. When I first got him, I listened to the misinformation online and kept him dry. A couple months ago, I was told this was incorrect and have changed his enclosure completely. He now has a humid enclosure with the proper lighting, substrate, and soaking schedule (30 mins everyday). I've always fed him a variety of foods (kale, bok choy, spring mixes, collards) and he's always enjoyed eating, but since I've hydrated him more, he's been eating less. Do you think this is a direct cause of him eating less? Is there any way I can make him eat more? I'm concerned he isn't getting the vitamins he needs since he'll usually just eat a bite or two - if that - everyday.

Secondly, he sleeps a lot. I know this is normal, especially since he's young, but lately I've noticed he doesn't want to do anything but go under the hide he has. He just likes to sit in there and sleep all day. The past couple days, he hasn't moved around much at all, and he's been in his shell (with his feet out just enough so he can stand and breathe) when soaking. Why is this? What can I do to promote activity for him? It's currently too cold where I live to bring him outside. His enclosure is kept at 95-100 during the day, with UV. At night, I use a nocturnal heat lamp because it's too cold inside. His humidity is usually around 60-100%. What more can I do to fix these issues?