help-- scale blocking torts nostril

Cindytortoise2020

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
my tort has a scale almost growing over his nostril- its causing him to be a bit wheezy and have his mouth open a bit, as you can see in the image.

overall he's a happy active tortoise, eating and reacting to things normally. the closet reptile vet to me is an hour away so ideally id like to help him myself so he doesn't have to sit in the car.
I've tried soaking him and going in with tiny tweezers but he pushes me away and I don't want to distress him. he doesn't sit still in a bath for long so I don't think he's getting enough soaking time but other then that he's okay.

he's a 3 year male Hermann tortoise

any suggestions and help would be super appreciated!!

Attachments

• 4DDAA87A-54EF-420E-B408-972E7055A194_1_102_o.jpeg
    4DDAA87A-54EF-420E-B408-972E7055A194_1_102_o.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 4

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It could be he has been shedding.
Maybe try a a damp cotton bud to gently stroke it away, making sure not to push it in.
If you hold him so that he is slightly facing downwards the head should stay out long enough for you to try. You may find it easier to get someone else to hold him securely. If I need to hold my tort I do it on the floor or at least over a surface to avoid risk of dropping him from a great height.

Cindytortoise2020

United Kingdom
It could be he has been shedding.
Maybe try a a damp cotton bud to gently stroke it away, making sure not to push it in.
If you hold him so that he is slightly facing downwards the head should stay out long enough for you to try. You may find it easier to get someone else to hold him securely. If I need to hold my tort I do it on the floor or at least over a surface to avoid risk of dropping him from a great height.
managed to get it off, had to keep soaking him in water and the stroking it away vs trying to pick it off really helped, thanks!!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
my tort has a scale almost growing over his nostril- its causing him to be a bit wheezy and have his mouth open a bit, as you can see in the image.

overall he's a happy active tortoise, eating and reacting to things normally. the closet reptile vet to me is an hour away so ideally id like to help him myself so he doesn't have to sit in the car.
I've tried soaking him and going in with tiny tweezers but he pushes me away and I don't want to distress him. he doesn't sit still in a bath for long so I don't think he's getting enough soaking time but other then that he's okay.

he's a 3 year male Hermann tortoise

any suggestions and help would be super appreciated!!
We have a Hermanns tortoise, who is now 22 - from the beginning, every morning, I have wiped his eyes and nose gently with a cotton-wool pad moistened with cooled boiled water. It probably isn't always necessary, but he is so used to it he makes no protest, and it gets rid of anything which might irritate his eyes or block his nose.
Angie