Sulcata health

Yahaira rojas

I have a baby Sulcata and I think he might be sick but I took him to the vet he told me nothing was wrong with his eyes he just has them closed then he said to try force feeding him he weights 1.65 ounces (46.78 grams) and I forgot to weight him when I got him but I find it weird how when I have him outside he will walk and let's say he get tired hell stop and then a while later walk again and he'll also like try taking bites of grass but if he didn't get any he'll get discourage and stop trying to eat it he also opens his eyes when he's out side but mostly only one eye (sometimes hell open both he's also been pooping so I'm not sure if he's eating and I'm not noticing or its cause I've been soaking him in baby food he walks perfectly fine outside but he does stop once in awhile and lays there then gets up again just inside he isn't active , the vet said Sulcata shouldn't hibernate cause they can die and I was wondering maybe he's try to hibernate? I'm still not sure what's going on the vet said he looks fine but I don't see how he can be fine if he's not that active (inside) and have his eyes close and won't eat (sometimes,rarely eats like 2 bites if he can get it in him mouth) I've also been putting liquid vitamins on his shell. advice on maybe what I can do and how to force feed him ? He's a baby I wand to say about 4 months if not less had him for a month his under she'll is still pretty soft ? Please anything could help

Yahaira rojas

I think I figured it's because if the bulb . I think this is why because when he's outside he opens them but when he's inside he doesn't even try opening them also out side he try eating cause he can see , if you guys also believe this is the reason please can you guys name good bulbs and good eye drops I don't want it to get worse and if not let me know what it could be , I

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Solar glo mercury vapor bulb is a good brand. can you take a picture of your sulcata set up? And tell us about it; soaking, how warm is it, what are you feeding?

Yahaira rojas

Solar glo mercury vapor bulb is a good brand. can you take a picture of your sulcata set up? And tell us about it; soaking, how warm is it, what are you feeding?
I soaked it every other day temp 70-80 cool side 90-100 warm side 2 by 4 tortoise table and feeding it kale mustard greens and grassland tortoise food

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Soak him every day. But, it does sound like it might be the bulb. Your cool side is too cold. At his age, I wouldn't go below 95f, especially if he might not be well

Yahaira rojas

Soak him every day. But, it does sound like it might be the bulb. Your cool side is too cold. At his age, I wouldn't go below 95f, especially if he might not be well
Okay thank you ! Any eye drops to help him with his eyes besides making those changes ? Also I was wondering is this deadly like if I make the changes (which I am going to make them) what's the chance of him getting better or not getting better

Last edited:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
95? Did you mean 85? I have leopards and not little Sulcatas, but that seems hot. I know my adult gets cranky if he is that warm.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
95? Did you mean 85? I have leopards and not little Sulcatas, but that seems hot. I know my adult gets cranky if he is that warm.
I was comfortable with cool side being no lower than 90-95f.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
No red bulb. Get a 125 watt mercury vapor bulb and a 100watt ceramic heat emitter. You only need the mercury vapor bulb on during the day. Buy a thermostat and set the ceramic heat emitter to 90f and it'll help keep your overall heat consistent. You'll leave this on all of the time.

Yahaira rojas

No red bulb. Get a 125 watt mercury vapor bulb and a 100watt ceramic heat emitter. You only need the mercury vapor bulb on during the day. Buy a thermostat and set the ceramic heat emitter to 90f and it'll help keep your overall heat consistent. You'll leave this on all of the time.
I have an 100 watt ceramic and 100watt bulb by zoo med But what in the bulb hurts his eyes I just bought a 75watt by exo terra because I thought it would be better for his puffy eyes should I return it ?

Yahaira rojas

100wtt the one I have 75 the one I just bought thinking it will help should I return it ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
100wtt the one I have 75 the one I just bought thinking it will help should I return it ?

As far as I can tell, neither of those bulbs provide UVB - those are just for heat, visible light, and uva. You need a UVB emitting bulb if your tortoises don't get regular access to natural sunlight.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
If your tortoise is getting natural sun light even several times a week it doesn't need supplemental UVA/UVB.