Recommendation for heating and lighting

Location (City and/or State)
I have recently gotten a mercury vapor bulb and it is amazing. It provides enough heat to basking and also provides UVB. Problem is that it is expensive (40$). But there is one day shipping on Amazon.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
MVBs are great, but the UVB output drops off long before the light fails. After about 6-9 months the bulb will be giving off no UVB and must be replaced.

This is why many people prefer using the long tube UVB bulbs as they last for years. You must then have a separate basking bulb.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
MVBs are great, but the UVB output drops off long before the light fails. After about 6-9 months the bulb will be giving off no UVB and must be replaced.

This is why many people prefer using the long tube UVB bulbs as they last for years. You must then have a separate basking bulb.
Actually that's not correct. None will last for years as far as the UVB if used daily. Some will last longer then others, tube and MVB, but only a UVB meter will really tell. For those of us that don't live in CA or AZ, we will never get them to last for years. I do believe that it's Tom in CA that says his has lasted a long time and I believe he uses the arcadias but not 100% on that and he's not using them as long I'm sure that some others have to use them. That's where, in my opinion, 6-12 months, all of them should be replaced if one doesn't have a meter.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I like the MVB as the fixtures are cheaper, under 12 bucks and it gives me more then a tube light that only gives UVB and light. MVB also gives heat.
Btw, some have had long UVB life with a MVB and some have had long UVB life with the tube. Like I said above, only a meter will tell really how long the UVB is lasting and at what strength. I don't use a meter and I usually use my bulbs for 5-6 months and then they are off for summer. The next winter I will still use the same bulb, but it usually burns out before it's a year old, so I replace it then.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
I liked MV bulbs as it’s makes set up simpler but I always had bad luck with them burning out early. So I decided to switch to a fluorescent tube and basking bulb. It kinda annoys me having a CHE, fluorescent, and basking bulb over one area.

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
talking about bulbs, i need to heat a large plastic dog house, i wonder what that will take, it is styrofoamed on the inside and is solid dry in the rain,

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
talking about bulbs, i need to heat a large plastic dog house, i wonder what that will take, it is styrofoamed on the inside and is solid dry in the rain,
I don't know how high your dog house is. Is a heat panel worth thinking about. The ones I use are 320w and the actual panels never get any hotter than 90deg c. They work very good for large enclosures. I've just bought a 360w to heat a 8x10ft enclosure. The ones I use go as low as 180w I THINK.
Obviously the better the enclosure is insulated the less heat you loose and the less power you use.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

First, converted dog houses don't work well. They are designed for dogs and not tortoises. The doors are much too tall and wide and let all your heat out, even with door flaps. They are too tall inside, and none of the ones I've ever made held in heat very well.

Second thing is: Don't use a bulb. These tend to over heat the top of the carapace and cause a "slow burn" on top, while not warming the bottom of the tortoise well enough or keeping air temps up.

What size and species of tortoise are you using this for? That will help with recommendations for heating.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Actually that's not correct. None will last for years as far as the UVB if used daily.

Actually it is correct. So say the people with meters that are actually testing bulbs, as opposed to people with no meter who are guessing or going by the manufacturers recommendations on the package to buy more product more often.

My UV tubes do run daily, all day every day. Some of them only for 3-4 hours, but others all day. This is exactly how someone in any climate should use them too.

Also, the people reading should realize that the current MVBs are only producing UV for about three months, so says a man with a meter (Evan) who is actually testing bulbs, vs. just speculating.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually it is correct. So say the people with meters that are actually testing bulbs, as opposed to people with no meter who are guessing or going by the manufacturers recommendations on the package to buy more product more often.

My UV tubes do run daily, all day every day. Some of them only for 3-4 hours, but others all day. This is exactly how someone in any climate should use them too.

Also, the people reading should realize that the current MVBs are only producing UV for about three months, so says a man with a meter (Evan) who is actually testing bulbs, vs. just speculating.
To just say it will last for years is very deceiving. I believe I mentioned a meter a couple times in my post. For the fact that without it, one doesn't really know. Each bulb will run different too, even if the same kind. They will also run different depending on fixture. I know this from experience with aquarium bulbs and a meter. Just not my meter sadly, but the stores I work at. My point that I probably didn't explain well, was it's a blanket statement that isn't true in all situations.

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
I don't know how high your dog house is. Is a heat panel worth thinking about. The ones I use are 320w and the actual panels never get any hotter than 90deg c. They work very good for large enclosures. I've just bought a 360w to heat a 8x10ft enclosure. The ones I use go as low as 180w I THINK.
Obviously the better the enclosure is insulated the less heat you loose and the less power you use.
ty