So many lighting choices!!!!

Amconaway88

Location (City and/or State)
Sandusky, Ohio
Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing well this evening! I have a quick question about lighting...specifically UVB lighting. Our little redfoot hatchling is still acclimating to his new environment, and it's currently been interesting trying to fix all of the little mistakes we made due to the massive amount of conflicting information out there! Man, every time I think I've got the right product I find out that it's actually horrible...pretty sure all the people at the stores are quite tired of exchanging products for me :(

Anyways...we had originally bought the wrong UVB bulb and discovered it was the coil kind that can hurt Mikey's (yeah...cliche, I know...but my husband and kids wouldn't listen to reason) eyes. I returned the bulb immediately and am trying to find the right one...currently the research I've done says that the mercury vapor bulbs are the best because they put out heat as well as a decent amount of UVB. Are mercury vapor bulbs good? I really hate to buy another bulb just to find out it's all wrong...ugh! Thanks in advance!!!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
No, mercury vapor bulbs are not good for redfoots or most tortoises. They are very bright and desiccating, which is something you don’t want with redfoots.

You need a tube flourescent, specifically one labeled as “tropical” or 5.0(I think), like this one-IMG_0847.jpg

Wolfpackin

Colorado
MVB's do provide UVB and heat, but they are very hot and intense.

I would recommend a fluorescent tube UVB and separate light bulb(s) for heat.
Use either T5 or T8 depending on the distance hung above the tortoise and the UVB requirements for your species.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I would recommended getting a t5/led fixture and pair that with a reptile heating panel. Reptile heating panels are more effective than ceramic heat emitters in heating large enclosures. That may be more ideal for red foots than your typical light bulb fixture.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The bulb type that @TechnoCheese has posted is also my choice.
To save money, go to Walmart and get an 18" "under cabinet" Florescent fixture. They are about $12 with the tube inside.
When you get home, take out the tube, throw it away and install an 18" 5.0 tube from a pet store. This will be about $18.
Now you have a $60 reptile light perfect for a RF for $30.
Remember your parameters. UVB and 75-85 degrees. But with NO bright light. And HIGH HUMIDITY.