Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well it's about the time to get a new UVB bulb in my enclosure and I was just wondering what everyones opinion was on the best possible lighting? I have a regular uvb tube atm, but I see people talking about mercury bulbs and such. Any info would be great, thanks.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
I have both florecent long tubes and MVBs. I love the MVBs I use the T-rex 100 watt for most of my Greeks during winter and all the hatchlings. Summer they are outside.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think the T-Rex or Mega Ray 100 watt bulbs are the best your money can buy. You need a ceramic socket light fixture with a 10 in. hood. They are placed 12-18 inches above the substrate depending on room temperature, so you may also need a lamp stand.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
I think the T-Rex or Mega Ray 100 watt bulbs are the best your money can buy. You need a ceramic socket light fixture with a 10 in. hood. They are placed 12-18 inches above the substrate depending on room temperature, so you may also need a lamp stand.

So I was looking at the mega ray 100w and it is about $50, does that sound right? And it produces heat and UVB so I won't need a regular heat bulb?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
You may need a heat bulb at night you can get just a red or blue heat bulb your tort can not see those colors or you can get a heat emitter (more money) which does not emit light at all.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
The ceramic heat emitters are a bit more money, but they seem to last forever. I have one thats been on 12 hours a day for 4 years with no issues. Bulbs are cheeper, but do not last that long. Bulbs are about $6, and ceramics are about three times that! My money is on the ceramic heat emitters, cheeper in the long run IMO.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
The CHE bulbs online aren't too bad in price (I think mine was about $15-20, where in the store it may have been double). Yes $50 for the Mega Ray is correct. I agree with Robyn you may need heat for night. I actually keep my CHE on during the day as well, on the other side of the enclosure of the MVB for spot heat (the same one I use for night; it's just on 24/7). My little guy will sometimes like to bask under it during the day, especially as he's getting out of his burrow in the morning, and right before bed. I moved it to a corner for summer so I didn't have to adjust the height on it so the heat isn't as close to his burrow.

Be very careful with the height of the MVBs from the substrate as the temoerature in your room changes. I keep having to raise mine up as is gets warmer here. Soon I will be above the useful height range of the bulb (above 18 in.), but he'll still get some UVB, and I've been trying to get him outside when it's warm too.

I don't like the look of the red bulb--it would bug me even though I don't sleep in the room.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for all of the info guys, my room usually doesn't go below 70 during the summer, should I still use a heat bulb(I have a red and black bulb that I could use)? I'm liking the idea of the UVB+heat bulb, but I wouldn't want to get it too hot and how long do they usually last?

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
If your asking if you need a heat bulb or ceramic during the night when the room is above 70, I'd say no!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
You probably won't want one in the summer as 70 is a good night temperature, but if your room gets below 60/65 or so in the winter you might want one, especially if it is a hatchling.

You can adjust the temperature in the enclosure by raising and lowering the MVB, thus the need for a lamp stand most of the time. Just make sure you are within the useful UVB range of 12-18 in. above the top of the tort's shell, or are aware that the tort is getting less UVB if it is higher out of necessity due to temperature. I'll have to move mine up more than 18 in. soon due to temperature. You should replace then every 12 months unless you have a meter to measure the UVB output. If you go to a reptile vet or belong to a local tort club, they may have one for you to borrow (expensive). Otherwise, just replace it every year.

An infrared laser thermometer (the PE1 is $25 for example) is great for quickly checking temps, they are very accurate as well.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thanks for all of the information and quick replies, where is a good place to get one of those thermometers?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I got mine on Ebay, but if you search on Google or Google shopping you'll find some options. Do you need a physical store though? Not sure what you're asking.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
I got mine on Ebay, but if you search on Google or Google shopping you'll find some options. Do you need a physical store though? Not sure what you're asking.

sorry for not being more clear, I'd prefer to order it online.

sorry one more question, do the mercury vapor bulbs need a certain light fixture or anything?

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
has anyone tried the fluker farms sun spots bulbs? ive seen them on ebay before for 40$ or so. does anyone know if there any good? there a uva+uvb lighting

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
james-ceramic socket, 10 in. hood

Ugh sorry for my ignorance, I'm confused... I ordered the bulb, now can that just go into a regular lamp that you'd get at the pet store or does it need something different? thanks

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
You need a 10 inch diameter hood fixture with a ceramic socket rated to a higher wattage than the bulb. Something like this (also showing a lamp stand to adjust the height; sold separately). You cannot use a regular fixture--you need ceramic due to the heat. You need the large diameter hood fixture to disperse the light and heat in a proper radius.

You can get the fixtures at either a pet store or hardware store, just check for the ceramic socket and get the largest diameter and deepest dome you can get (these bulbs are very deep; about the size of a flood light). They may be able to be found between $8-20, silver or black. The lamp stand I have was from a pet store (Zoo Med, the standard larger one, not economy, approx. $25). Maybe someone else sells them though?

jslx11.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.