Red Ear Slider Laid eggs, is it too hot?

herbehe

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
Hi, I have a pond across from my house and on June 13th a red-eared slider laid eggs in my mulch. I've read temperatures should be under 90degrees. I am in Austin, Texas and it has been hitting upwards of 109!
I haven't touched the area where the eggs are, I don't want to interfere, but I am on watch to help them get back to the pond when they do hatch.
My question is, are they going to hatch, or has it been too hot? I fear they've "cooked" for lack of a better word, but I don't want to touch anything.

What do I do?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hi, I have a pond across from my house and on June 13th a red-eared slider laid eggs in my mulch. I've read temperatures should be under 90degrees. I am in Austin, Texas and it has been hitting upwards of 109!
I haven't touched the area where the eggs are, I don't want to interfere, but I am on watch to help them get back to the pond when they do hatch.
My question is, are they going to hatch, or has it been too hot? I fear they've "cooked" for lack of a better word, but I don't want to touch anything.

What do I do?

Id say sit back & let Mother Nature do its thing. Higher incubation temps lead to a greater propensity for one sex or the other. Sooo, this year, maybe more females are incubated. Next year, maybe it’s cooler & more males are produced.

Hopefully they get to hatch before a raccoon or fox or ‘possum gets them.

Visit daily Add some pix of the nesting area.

Ps - I guess you could possibly take a gallon jug of water and moisten down the area. Maybe lay a branch over top of the area is in full sun & baking.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I found a dead baby red eared slider next to the park once. Too bad! Cute!

herbehe

Austin, TX
Id say sit back & let Mother Nature do its thing. Higher incubation temps lead to a greater propensity for one sex or the other. Sooo, this year, maybe more females are incubated. Next year, maybe it’s cooler & more males are produced.

Hopefully they get to hatch before a raccoon or fox or ‘possum gets them.

Visit daily Add some pix of the nesting area.

Ps - I guess you could possibly take a gallon jug of water and moisten down the area. Maybe lay a branch over top of the area is in full sun & baking.
Thank you! I actually water my plants that are in the mulch and make sure I add water to it. Good idea with the cover ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you! I actually water my plants that are in the mulch and make sure I add water to it. Good idea with the cover ;)
The females know where to bury their eggs and how deep for optimal egg incubation temperatures. I wouldn't do anything at all to the area.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
They’re sliders after all. I say let them cook before you end up contributing to them out competing any other water turtles that are native.