Red eared slider help please

LordMittens

Location (City and/or State)
Europe
Hi all, i'm in need for your help guys.
In mid june i've found a red eared slider near my house (i live on a small island and there are no turtles in the wild here) and i took it in cause i wanted to help her (thought someone maybe kicked her out cause she got too big - 22cm).
She had some wounds on her lower shell which i took care off and are looking fine now.
Now i've noticed that the very tip of her lower 'lip' is missing and has some white deposits on the sides of it and in her mouth. And she stopped eating (i feed her pellets and dried shrimps, once i gave her a strawberry, i also give her some lettuce too but she never eats it).
There are no vets on the island, i called one on the 'mainlands' and he told me to send him the pics but never responded.
Posting the pic here too.
I can try and take a few more tomorrow, i dont want to stress her too much if shes in any kid of pain.

Have no idea what to do and i really am worried cause i dont want her to suffer. If you have any advice of what it might be and how to help her i will really appreciate it.

IMG-20201211-WA0003.jpg

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Yeah sounds like you found an invasive species. What is the turtle's current set up (heat, basking temp, water temp)?

How long have you had the turtle? No de-worming from parasites, I assume?

The beak could be a number of things. A proper diet can take care of any vitamin deficiencies it might have had previously. do you feed any calcium?
The damage could have been done by physical impact, too. Hard to rule either of these out.

LordMittens

Europe
@crimson_lotus never made her a "proper" setting cause i was planing on taking her to a shelter but corona peaked the last few months here so i cannot travel...during summer i kept her in water on the terrace in the sun and during night time i would dry dock her.
Now its a problem, i keep her in the house and i mostly dry dock her and put her in the water for a few hours a day beause it gets kinda cold, and i didnt get the heater yet for the tank/rubbermaid.
The temps are around 20-23C/68-73F...dont know if thats ok or too cold. I think i should also get her a basking light ASAP. Can i just rig that on another rubbermaid, and when i see that she wants to get out of the water one i just switch her to the light one?

Didn't do any dewormings cause there is no vet on the island where i live, and the closest ones on the 'mainlands' dont treat turtles i guess, cause when i first found her in june and contacted them via email they didnt give any advice at all and said that i have everything on the web.

Never gave her calcium, unless there isnt some in the pellets already.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
@crimson_lotus never made her a "proper" setting cause i was planing on taking her to a shelter but corona peaked the last few months here so i cannot travel...during summer i kept her in water on the terrace in the sun and during night time i would dry dock her.
Now its a problem, i keep her in the house and i mostly dry dock her and put her in the water for a few hours a day beause it gets kinda cold, and i didnt get the heater yet for the tank/rubbermaid.
The temps are around 20-23C/68-73F...dont know if thats ok or too cold. I think i should also get her a basking light ASAP. Can i just rig that on another rubbermaid, and when i see that she wants to get out of the water one i just switch her to the light one?

Didn't do any dewormings cause there is no vet on the island where i live, and the closest ones on the 'mainlands' dont treat turtles i guess, cause when i first found her in june and contacted them via email they didnt give any advice at all and said that i have everything on the web.

Never gave her calcium, unless there isnt some in the pellets already.
can you just put a big rock in the bin so the turtle can fully get out of the water, and just put a light above it for heat/UV? it doesnt have to be anything fancy but basking/getting UV light is necessary for healthy shedding and preventing shell rot.
not sure about the water temps but my map turtle is OK in those conditions with a basking spot. Definitely get a light and maybe a cuttlebone to throw into his bin to see if he is interested in nibbling it for calcium.

LordMittens

Europe
can you just put a big rock in the bin so the turtle can fully get out of the water, and just put a light above it for heat/UV? it doesnt have to be anything fancy but basking/getting UV light is necessary for healthy shedding and preventing shell rot.
not sure about the water temps but my map turtle is OK in those conditions with a basking spot. Definitely get a light and maybe a cuttlebone to throw into his bin to see if he is interested in nibbling it for calcium.

Yeah i think i'll be able to do that with the light and a rock. Does it have to be extra smooth? Affraid she might damage her bottom shell if its not smooth.
I can find cuttle bones on the beach here. Do i need to boil it first to kill any dirt and germs?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Yeah i think i'll be able to do that with the light and a rock. Does it have to be extra smooth? Affraid she might damage her bottom shell if its not smooth.
I can find cuttle bones on the beach here. Do i need to boil it first to kill any dirt and germs?

I dont think the rock has to be super smooth, as long as it's stable and the turtle can climb off/on it fairly easily and be able to sit there for a while.

I dont have personal experience with finding or preparing cuttlebone, but after googling it seems boiling would be a good idea before giving to your turtle

LordMittens

Europe
I dont think the rock has to be super smooth, as long as it's stable and the turtle can climb off/on it fairly easily and be able to sit there for a while.

I dont have personal experience with finding or preparing cuttlebone, but after googling it seems boiling would be a good idea before giving to your turtle
Awsome! Thank you so much!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am not an expert, but I raised DBT's for a while and one of them got mouth rot. Looks kinda the same. Can you use a Q-tip and gently wipe at that white stuff, see if it comes off or if any skin comes off? Remember, I'm no expert, just an idea

LordMittens

Europe
I am not an expert, but I raised DBT's for a while and one of them got mouth rot. Looks kinda the same. Can you use a Q-tip and gently wipe at that white stuff, see if it comes off or if any skin comes off? Remember, I'm no expert, just an idea
Oh shoot...that doesnt sound good, was affraid it might be that...gonna buy some qtips and try wiping it, thanks.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh shoot...that doesnt sound good, was affraid it might be that...gonna buy some qtips and try wiping it, thanks.
My vivid memory shows a q tip, and her mucous membranes actually coming off her jaws. Remember, I am not an expert, and in this case, I am only repeating what happened tome. Different species and hopefully a different result

LordMittens

Europe
My vivid memory shows a q tip, and her mucous membranes actually coming off her jaws. Remember, I am not an expert, and in this case, I am only repeating what happened tome. Different species and hopefully a different result

Tried with the q-tip, but she doesnt want to open her mouth and i dont want to force it, affraid i might hurt her :(