Red foot baby - no improvement today ):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Redfoot NERD said:
Does anyone really know what 'treatment' can be done for a redfoot HATCHLING that has gone thru what this one has?

You wouldn't dare give him a shot.. or try to inject anything into that little body!

He's been soaked how many times in the past week?

How could you get "nutrients" into him but how Kristina tried to encourage? [ from the replys.............. I'll just keep it to myself ]

Are we just trying to find out what "ails" him?

Any answers anybody.. on any of these questions?

I've tried to encourage Chelsea to give her baby a chance to be still and relax and do what babies do -- grow into this world at their own rate.......

Terry K

I really do not want to come across rude and i am new to torts but can i as u some questions Terry.
How long would u let a Tortoise go without water and food?

This little one was bought 9 days ago and is not responding, Yes torts need to settle in but if they are sick they are not going to get better themselfs are they. I am not one for running to a vet either but i would not let a tort suffer and if it need medical help i would get it.

I am really glad its not me with the sick tort i would be SO CONFUSED RIGHT NOW.

Whats wrong with finding a good Reptile Vet and having the tort looked at?
I have read posts saying vets proding and poking stress them out,but this littlle one is not eating or drinking and only started opening it eyes today while being soaked! I would hate to encourage someone not to go to the vets and a sick tortoise die.

I do not know whats up with this little one, no one does, yes it can take them a few days to settle in and eat but to sleep this long and not eat for this long is not good even a newbie like me can see that is not good.

I do not want u to think i am having a go as i said i am new to tortoises and i know u breed them but i have had pets for a long time i am just new to torts. As i said before i do not run to the vets straight away 4 years ago my Guinea pig was ill i held back on the vets and he died.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Unless you feel absolutely confident with your course of treatment in this scenario, I'd side with everyone else who advocates seeing a good reptile vet.

I grew up with unusual animals and there are times when you shouldn't see a vet and times when you should. Generally, the difference depends more on your level of experience with the animals than it does with how sick the animal is. If you feel confident with your treatment, then forgo the vet and press on. If you're nervous or unsure, then get to a qualified reptile vet as soon as you can.

There are so many things that can and do go wrong that it would be a tragedy to have this one slip through your fingers if you're not sure you can get him better.

Also, I've only skimmed through the first couple pages so maybe I missed this, but what about the breeder? It's been less than 2 weeks!?!?! This is definitely not your fault, but his. I hate how irresponsible some people can be, and then to go and pass their clinging to life hatchlings as healthy? What a scam. I am so sorry that you've had to go through this.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Redfoot NERD said:
Does anyone really know what 'treatment' can be done for a redfoot HATCHLING that has gone thru what this one has?

You wouldn't dare give him a shot.. or try to inject anything into that little body!

How could you get "nutrients" into him but how Kristina tried to encourage? [ from the replys.............. I'll just keep it to myself ]

I've tried to encourage Chelsea to give her baby a chance to be still and relax and do what babies do -- grow into this world at their own rate.......

Terry K

You are assuming that it was just started wrong and a little TLC will fix it up. While this may be correct, it may also be very incorrect- especially from a questionable breeder. By now there could be respiratory infections and more wrong with it. Letting it 'sit still and relax' with something like RI or other problems might make an already bad situation a lot worse.

"Wouldn't dare give it a shot"? Why not? The proper dose of the right stuff injected in the right place can help quite a bit. It is a small tort, but there are really small needles.

"Get nutrients into it"? Via a shot or a mouth tube- simple, basic vet techniques.

"Just trying to find out what ails him?" YES- that is EXACTLY what we are trying to do, so we can help determine the right course of action. Of course, a vet that can see it can do a better job of this. I am not sure why you would even question this.

You breed and start good torts- but I am not sure how this gives you the expertise to state categorically that a vet cannot help in a case like this.

tanker

5 Year Member
turtletania said:
Tanker....as someone who lost a RF recently, Are you sure waiting 2 or 3 days isn't too long?. My little sweety was showing the same signs (including the eyes opening only in warm water) I took mine to the vets, had medicine, did everything, but still sadly lost the battle. I really hope your guy pulls through, but just wanted to let you know how worried I am for 'him'.

How old was you RF? What do you think made him sick? Please tell me how you had your enclosure... Thanks

tanker

5 Year Member
PeanutbuttER said:
Unless you feel absolutely confident with your course of treatment in this scenario, I'd side with everyone else who advocates seeing a good reptile vet.

I grew up with unusual animals and there are times when you shouldn't see a vet and times when you should. Generally, the difference depends more on your level of experience with the animals than it does with how sick the animal is. If you feel confident with your treatment, then forgo the vet and press on. If you're nervous or unsure, then get to a qualified reptile vet as soon as you can.

There are so many things that can and do go wrong that it would be a tragedy to have this one slip through your fingers if you're not sure you can get him better.

Also, I've only skimmed through the first couple pages so maybe I missed this, but what about the breeder? It's been less than 2 weeks!?!?! This is definitely not your fault, but his. I hate how irresponsible some people can be, and then to go and pass their clinging to life hatchlings as healthy? What a scam. I am so sorry that you've had to go through this.
Yes Im VERY NEW to torts too obviously and yes Im very confused but being patient. How patient should I be and how much longer can I wait until I take the next step, going to the Vet?
I agree that the breeder sold use a sick tort and it is very upsetting. What do I do say I want my money back, $350.00 which I know he wont give us or get a new sick tort from him? Hopefully it doesnt get to that point.

tanker

5 Year Member
Well tonight baby Tank pooped!!! I take this as a good thing. I did save it however for if and when I go to the vet so they can check it out. Other than that not much improvement. He did drink quiet a bit and I have been keep ing the temps up to 85-90 all day and 80-85 at night. I hoping that the heat is just the problem and he needs to get warmed up and his body started up again and he will be fine.
Tank is a tough little man and trying hard to get better. It has been a week since he had four bites of lettuce.
Go Tank go!!!

Madkins007 said:
Redfoot NERD said:

Terry K

You are assuming that it was just started wrong and a little TLC will fix it up. While this may be correct, it may also be very incorrect- especially from a questionable breeder. By now there could be respiratory infections and more wrong with it. Letting it 'sit still and relax' with something like RI or other problems might make an already bad situation a lot worse.

"Wouldn't dare give it a shot"? Why not? The proper dose of the right stuff injected in the right place can help quite a bit. It is a small tort, but there are really small needles.

"Get nutrients into it"? Via a shot or a mouth tube- simple, basic vet techniques.

"Just trying to find out what ails him?" YES- that is EXACTLY what we are trying to do, so we can help determine the right course of action. Of course, a vet that can see it can do a better job of this. I am not sure why you would even question this.

You breed and start good torts- but I am not sure how this gives you the expertise to state categorically that a vet cannot help in a case like this.
So Mark, you are thinking a Vet is the next step for my tort? I called around yesterday and found a good reptile vet who deals with many RFs. Should I just go??? And why are so many opposed to the idea of a Vet, I dont get it... In my mind if my 9 month old wasn't eating right and lethargic I wouldnt wait to long, maybe a day. I know humans and torts are different but a Vet is there to help so maybe I will go tomorrow.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I may have asked this question before but have you tried live food? or mazuri? mine loves both.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
tanker said:
Yes Im VERY NEW to torts too obviously and yes Im very confused but being patient. How patient should I be and how much longer can I wait until I take the next step, going to the Vet?
I agree that the breeder sold use a sick tort and it is very upsetting. What do I do say I want my money back, $350.00 which I know he wont give us or get a new sick tort from him? Hopefully it doesnt get to that point.

I probably should mention that I'm also new to torts. I've only been keeping them for a year and a half to two years. Just so it's clear that I'm not overstating any of my qualifications and to give you a grain of salt towards everything I say. The other unusual animals includes a bunch of other critters (Some from the wild, some not) like skunks, falcons, a hawk, frogs, etc.

I once had a peregrine that we got from a breeder. He had these weird ruffled juvenile feathers. The breeder sold him to us for "cheap" and said the feathers would fix themselves after the molt (yearly loss and regrowth of all the feathers) when his adult feathers come in. He didn't live that long. After a few months he started to get skinny and really mean for no reason. After a vet visit, it turned out he was going blind and cataracts were developing (if that's the term for it?) in his eyes. We had to put him to sleep before he was able to turn 1 year old. Very sad day. Contacted the breeder and it turns out that he was in fact inbreeding (among other things like feeding the chicks chicken nuggets...) and all the chicks from that clutch ended up either blind or near sighted (only one was nearsighted). He was a nice guy though and agreed to refund everything and apologized for everything.

I bring this up as an example of how with a bad breeder,there's just not much you could have done. Sounds like the care he gives his torts is pretty lacking. If it were me, I'd explain how your little RF has been sick basically from day 1 of you owning him. I'd ask for a refund, or at least a partial refund to cover a vet visit (something he probably should have seen to himself before selling you your tort) so your tort has the best chance of making it should you choose that route. Sounds like the breeder would put up a fight, but maybe by being insistent you can get something back. I'd be wary of him offering you another potentially sick hatchling.

As far as deciding whether or not and when to take your tort to the vet, it's up to you. Without any of us being there it's impossible to say what you should do in your situation. It's possible that he'll still turn around on his own with proper care, but it's also possible he won't. Equally possible is that the vet's poking and prodding will indeed stress him out and prolong his illness, or that the vet will give great advice and you'll see a lightning fast turnaround for the better. There are possible risks and benefits both ways. Pick what you feel most comfortable with in your situation. Finding a good vet would minimize the risk of the vet doing any real harm in my opinion.

You also asked why people are hesitant to go see a vet. Part of the problem in my opinion is that there are so many vets without any actual background in tortoises. Those vets really aren't going to be able to help you much and it seems like a lot of these unqualified vets can proceed to ignorantly prescribe harmful treatments as well. There's just a lot of risk with inexperience, but a qualified reptile vet can do wonders. Experience is the key.

This distrust has made a lot of people become their own sort of vet. They research or figure out how to do minor (and sometimes more involved) treatments properly and become skilled enough to "take care of" things themselves. For our falcons, we could take care of most things ourselves. When something out of the ordinary came up like the cataracts though, it was time to take him in to see a qualified vet (we found a vet an hour away who was also a falconer. Lucky :).

Good luck and we all wish the best for you and your little one.

Status
Not open for further replies.