Red foot baby - no improvement today ):

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
It seems that the substrate may contain pine bark mulch. Is there a relatively strong pine scent from the substrate? If this is the case, omit the pine bark and place it temporarily on a non-reactive substrate (paper towel, 'flat' cloth towel, newspaper or cypress that has aired in the sun until there is no odor...). The compounds present in the pine may be more of an irritant than the tort can withstand leading to the closed eyes and lack of appetite (and probably difficulty breathing).

As far as enticing it to eat, once it has had several hours to breathe 'fresh' air, offer a little mango (fruit, not bell pepper).

tanker

5 Year Member
The substrate is coconut shavings and peat moss. I have also put in sphagnum moss aswell in his hide(moist).
I will start to give him filtered water, just one more thing that can only help him.

I am so confused, over whelmed, sick, stressed and actually having a hard time eating too. I know now what he is feeling like.
I am thinking that I haven't been keeping him warm enough. Is it possible that he might be trying to hibernate? I know that when they are this young they are not suppose to hibernate. Its just a thought.
I have upped the temps with ceramic heat emitter, as I was using an inferred bulb heat emitter and I now know that that was wrong too.
I was able to talk to a woman today who lives right by me who also breeds tortoises. I am going to her place tomorrow to get dandelion leaves and see how she keeps hers and get some more help. She knows the "breeder" that we bought him from and he is known for NOT caring about the tortoises and just the money. Also known for giving the WRONG advise on how to care for the tortoises.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
tanker said:
The substrate is coconut shavings and peat moss. I have also put in sphagnum moss aswell in his hide(moist).
I will start to give him filtered water, just one more thing that can only help him.

I am so confused, over whelmed, sick, stressed and actually having a hard time eating too. I know now what he is feeling like.
I am thinking that I haven't been keeping him warm enough. Is it possible that he might be trying to hibernate? I know that when they are this young they are not suppose to hibernate. Its just a thought.
I have upped the temps with ceramic heat emitter, as I was using an inferred bulb heat emitter and I now know that that was wrong too.
I was able to talk to a woman today who lives right by me who also breeds tortoises. I am going to her place tomorrow to get dandelion leaves and see how she keeps hers and get some more help. She knows the "breeder" that we bought him from and he is known for NOT caring about the tortoises and just the money. Also known for giving the WRONG advise on how to care for the tortoises.

Tanker I have read Redfoots do not hibernate. I hope the lady can help you. If he does not pick up soon u really need to get him checked by a Rep vet, U have been trying to get him to respond for a while and nothing is working they are fragile at this age and i would hate to see a post saying u have lost him please take him to a vet. The lady ur are seeing will proberly know a good vet in ur area.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Redfoots do not hibernate. What did you have his heat at? That makes all the difference. Did you call and talk with Terry or Madkins like you said that you said you were going to do? I don't know about the breeder that you got him from, but that's one of the best looking Cherryheads that I've ever seen so that makes this all the more confusing for me. Hopefully this woman that you're going to see can help you. :(

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
How is your baby doing I noticed you haven't posted since yesterday. I'm hoping that's not a bad sign. Can you tell us? :(

turtletania

5 Year Member
I have been checking back every hour - still no update. I am so worried, cos I know what Tanker is going through. I dearly hope that the news is good, cos what I went through was horrid.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
I have got a horrible feeling in the pit off my stomach i hope i am wrong, but i know tanker as been up dating us and the poor like thing as been ill for too long now

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Can vets put intravenous drips on torts to like hydrate them? Or like feed them through their mouths with a tube or something like that? Just asking not saying they can just interested if they do.. :/

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Well I know that she was just on here this morning but yet didn't post anything about her little one so maybe everything is alright with him. Can't figure out why no update unless it was suggested that she not put one. :(

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Shelli said:
Can vets put intravenous drips on torts to like hydrate them? Or like feed them through their mouths with a tube or something like that? Just asking not saying they can just interested if they do.. :/

My vet gave my ornate an injection of fluids to hidrate her. She was much better within 20 min.

tanker

5 Year Member
HI everyone,
I went to a ladies house that has 14 tortoises named Kelly. Kelly does NOT have a red foot but she has housed one in the past. Kelly told me that she thinks my little guy is just too cold. She also gave me a lot of dandelion leafs that I have upped the temps a lot. He was at around 75 to 85. I have now moved him into my bedroom where it is quiet, no traffic/kids around. His temps are now at 85-92. I did soak him in warm water and he did open his eyes and move around in the water. The last 5 days he did not really respond to his soaks., so this is an improvement. And I know that NERD told me not to but in my gut I feel I need to. It gets him moving and drinks too. He still has not eaten anything but I think(?) he is getting better because he did open his eyes.
HE is so-o cute and precious, I hope he pulls out of this soon.
Thanks again for all you concerns and thoughts!!!

terryo said:
Shelli said:

My vet gave my ornate an injection of fluids to hidrate her. She was much better within 20 min.

Terryo have you ever taken your RF to the vet? Was it worth it? IF he doesnt improve significantly in the next 2-3 days then I think I might take him. If I am doing EVERYTHING in my power to help him then that is the next step. Let me know what you think... I know he CANNOT go on much longer like this ):

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Hi Tanker i am glad the lady could help u, and glad u are getting him to respond, she could be right with the cold thing that would explain why he is resonding in the water if u have fairly warm water he will warm up abit. U are doing right by thinking about a vet check he as been poorly for a while now and yes they can not go on like this forever

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Tanker- like I mentioned before, I am not sure we are seeing a clear picture of the situation. I posted a list of questions earlier that can help us better figure out what is going on, or you can call me if you want.

I am glad it is doing better!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Terryo have you ever taken your RF to the vet? Was it worth it? IF he doesnt improve significantly in the next 2-3 days then I think I might take him. If I am doing EVERYTHING in my power to help him then that is the next step. Let me know what you think... I know he CANNOT go on much longer like this ):

I am glad he is doing better, but if he were mine he would have already been to the Vet. Remember he is your Tortoise, and if you do not want the Vet to do something to him, just say no. If you do take him to the Vet, ask him what he is going to do, before he does it. I have never taken mine, as he was never sick. I have only taken one box turtle to the Vet in all my years of owning them, but he was someone I trusted 100 %, and knew that he would be able to help him.

IMHO...if a pet, of any kind, especially one so young and fragile does not eat, has to be soaked to open his eyes, does not move around....then he should be given professional care. There are people on this forum, who have owned and raised Tortoieses and have experience with sick ones, and know what to do and how to do it. But a new keeeper, who does not have this experience, shouldn't wait. But, he is your tort, and you have to use your own judgement. This is only my opinion and what I would do.
My hatchling is about the same age, and is out walking around on his own, and comes for his food when he sees me bring it. His eyes are always open, except when he goes in his hide to sleep.
I hope he gets better for you. He is so beautiful, and it would be a shame to loose him.
Can you tell me who the breeder is where you got him? I'm just curious, as he is really a nice looking tort.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Terry I was just wondering if Solo roams around in his enclosure a lot or does he hide a lot? What amount of time does he hide?

tanker

5 Year Member
Terryo,
My hubby bought him at a reptile show 9 days ago. The "breeder" is from British Columbia Canada. I live in Calgary Alberta, Canada. The breeder does not have a website. I am learning he does NOT have a good reputation on care and caring about his torts, he just wants the money. I learned this from Kelly who has all the torts.
I am doing what NERD told me to do and if there is no improvement in 2-3 days then its off to the VET! I did speak with NERD for an hour, so kind of him to give me help and. He really does care for these little creatures!!!

turtletania

5 Year Member
Tanker....as someone who lost a RF recently, Are you sure waiting 2 or 3 days isn't too long?. My little sweety was showing the same signs (including the eyes opening only in warm water) I took mine to the vets, had medicine, did everything, but still sadly lost the battle. I really hope your guy pulls through, but just wanted to let you know how worried I am for 'him'.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Does anyone really know what 'treatment' can be done for a redfoot HATCHLING that has gone thru what this one has?

You wouldn't dare give him a shot.. or try to inject anything into that little body!

He's been soaked how many times in the past week?

How could you get "nutrients" into him but how Kristina tried to encourage? [ from the replys.............. I'll just keep it to myself ]

Are we just trying to find out what "ails" him?

Any answers anybody.. on any of these questions?

I've tried to encourage Chelsea to give her baby a chance to be still and relax and do what babies do -- grow into this world at their own rate.......

Terry K

Status
Not open for further replies.