Red foot Care Help

tortoiseplanet

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I just got 2 red foot tortoises today for the first time. I’m very excited to breed the two females, although I am a noob and need some info on their care. I can’t seem to find any updated care sheets anywhere. Any links would be appreciated. Any general info too would be awesome. I mostly need help with diet; what percentage of fruits, vegetables, and protein should I feed? Anything I should avoid?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I just got 2 red foot tortoises today for the first time. I’m very excited to breed the two females, although I am a noob and need some info on their care. I can’t seem to find any updated care sheets anywhere. Any links would be appreciated. Any general info too would be awesome. I mostly need help with diet; what percentage of fruits, vegetables, and protein should I feed? Anything I should avoid?

1). Tortoise Library ——-has great, reliable, current info on RFs. 2) Turtletary—— has a great section on RFs. Both sites were my “noob RF keeper bible” in the first year of my babies. I’m having trouble attaching links here but you can just google both sites

tortoiseplanet

Earth
1). Tortoise Library ——-has great, reliable, current info on RFs. 2) Turtletary—— has a great section on RFs. Both sites were my “noob RF keeper bible” in the first year of my babies. I’m having trouble attaching links here but you can just google both sites

Thank you,
Still wondering the percentage of the diet. % of fruit, % of vegetables, % of protein should be?

Jake1363

Any type of dark leafy greens, and weeds. Mine loves clover in the yard. Also a bit of fruit anything none citrus really. They love berries of any kind in particular. For protein gey yourself a medium sized critter cage and a big pack of candian night crawlers. I usually get 24-50. Throw them in the cage and a bit of greens keep dirt moist. Feed worms 2 times a month. I usually give a tiny bit of fruit that day to. It's a special day for him. .5 of a worm for 2in tort 1-2 for any bigger you be the judge. The trick is to drop it in front of them. They don't really like eating it from tweesers.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Thank you,
Still wondering the percentage of the diet. % of fruit, % of vegetables, % of protein should be?

In nature they eat really anything they can find, mushrooms, fallen fruit, berries, slugs and snails, carrion, I think that just depends on the area where they live and what’s available. As far as priportions of greens/fruit/protein etc, you will find that this varies greatly accross all Rf keepers. Many feel passionately of pushing greens as majority of the diet. I’ll tell you that after feeding mine for almost 3 yrs, I ten to be more relaxed about the greens now. My Two have NEVER liked the greens. I have ALWAYS and to this day have to trick them into eating them, despite my weekly pilgrimage to farmers market to stock up on collards, dandelions (red and green variety), escarole, endive, radicchio, fresh forest mushrooms (chantarelles, chicks of the forest and such). When i just put the greens down, they typically just ignore them. In 3 yrs they did graze on their greens only a handful of times. So I’d typically chop the up, very finely and mix either with fruit or, more often- with their soaked mazuri. I do see them graze some on their garden plants though. Not too often though. When they forage for food it’s usually hunting down my garden snails. They LOVE those! Honestly, I too worried about the proportions of greens/fruit/mushrooms/meat/pelleted food, and READ, READ, READ!!!! whatever i could get my hands on. That above mentioned Tortoise Library was the first wonderful place I was directed to by members of this Forum. Then I had found Turtletary also by a member of ours named Terry who has dacades of experience in raising and breeding RFs and other species of torts and turts. Mr Terry told me basically to relax and stop thinking of it as „laboratory” where everything is measured, following the exact recipe. And he was so right! I think there are as many RF menu recipes as there are keepers. In a way this can be very personal for us. And PERSONALLY, myself, established the following feeding routine: on daily feedings, the biggest pile is the greens with opuntia cactus which makes roughly ½ of their meal. The other half consists of some mix of soaked pellets, fruit, mushrooms, eggs or meat. Meat is weekly, fruit, mushrooms and pellets (Mazuri and other brands) daily or almost daily, greens/cactus- daily. Plus, constant access to cuttlefish bone, days spent in their big planted garden outside with plants, bugs, worms, mollusc, isopods... and of course - water access 24/7 and.... we still, to this day do daily soaking. I am a hobby keeper, I have the time to do all that[emoji6]IMG_3558.jpg. Example of a typical meal. I’ll look for more pics for you, but only with a disclaimer: my way is just one of MANY ways, I am not claiming it is the „correct, or the best”, it just works for me and my torts and it has for the past 3 yrs. The white in there is shrimp, the orange is bell pepper, the green is cactus, collard and dandelion greens

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
It is not quite what you want to hear, but redfoots should get about 50% of their calories from carbohydrates, and about 25% each from fats and proteins. (None of this means they need a lot of meat in their diet in captivity since a lot of the plants we offer are already high in proteins and fats.)

OR, you can offer a nice mess o' greens every day or three, some fruit (not much that is too wet/sugary) about once a week, and a little protein (insects, worms, pinkies, oily fish, pet food, etc.) every week or three.

Jake1363

In nature they eat really anything they can find, mushrooms, fallen fruit, berries, slugs and snails, carrion, I think that just depends on the area where they live and what’s available. As far as priportions of greens/fruit/protein etc, you will find that this varies greatly accross all Rf keepers. Many feel passionately of pushing greens as majority of the diet. I’ll tell you that after feeding mine for almost 3 yrs, I ten to be more relaxed about the greens now. My Two have NEVER liked the greens. I have ALWAYS and to this day have to trick them into eating them, despite my weekly pilgrimage to farmers market to stock up on collards, dandelions (red and green variety), escarole, endive, radicchio, fresh forest mushrooms (chantarelles, chicks of the forest and such). When i just put the greens down, they typically just ignore them. In 3 yrs they did graze on their greens only a handful of times. So I’d typically chop the up, very finely and mix either with fruit or, more often- with their soaked mazuri. I do see them graze some on their garden plants though. Not too often though. When they forage for food it’s usually hunting down my garden snails. They LOVE those! Honestly, I too worried about the proportions of greens/fruit/mushrooms/meat/pelleted food, and READ, READ, READ!!!! whatever i could get my hands on. That above mentioned Tortoise Library was the first wonderful place I was directed to by members of this Forum. Then I had found Turtletary also by a member of ours named Terry who has dacades of experience in raising and breeding RFs and other species of torts and turts. Mr Terry told me basically to relax and stop thinking of it as „laboratory” where everything is measured, following the exact recipe. And he was so right! I think there are as many RF menu recipes as there are keepers. In a way this can be very personal for us. And PERSONALLY, myself, established the following feeding routine: on daily feedings, the biggest pile is the greens with opuntia cactus which makes roughly ½ of their meal. The other half consists of some mix of soaked pellets, fruit, mushrooms, eggs or meat. Meat is weekly, fruit, mushrooms and pellets (Mazuri and other brands) daily or almost daily, greens/cactus- daily. Plus, constant access to cuttlefish bone, days spent in their big planted garden outside with plants, bugs, worms, mollusc, isopods... and of course - water access 24/7 and.... we still, to this day do daily soaking. I am a hobby keeper, I have the time to do all that[emoji6]View attachment 236260. Example of a typical meal. I’ll look for more pics for you, but only with a disclaimer: my way is just one of MANY ways, I am not claiming it is the „correct, or the best”, it just works for me and my torts and it has for the past 3 yrs. The white in there is shrimp, the orange is bell pepper, the green is cactus, collard and dandelion greens
Try planting as many types of clover as you can. I also have a hard time getting mine to eat green unless i dice it up with fruit. The one green they absolutely adore is clover tho. Mine will completely clear the part of the lawn they are kept in.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
Try planting as many types of clover as you can. I also have a hard time getting mine to eat green unless i dice it up with fruit. The one green they absolutely adore is clover tho. Mine will completely clear the part of the lawn they are kept in.

Interesting,
Mine also have trouble eating greens. Nothing seems to fit their appetite until I bring a banana or mango and then they come running. I’ll be sure to try the clover. It is shamrock clover you refer to, right?

Jake1363

Interesting,
Mine also have trouble eating greens. Nothing seems to fit their appetite until I bring a banana or mango and then they come running. I’ll be sure to try the clover. It is shamrock clover you refer to, right?
Any type of clover I have two leaf but mostly 3 leafs which are white Dutch and strawberry. They just grow wild in the yard and the first year I had him I kept him outside and he cleared every spot I would move his first enclosure to. So I built a bigger one and started throwing seeds down every so often to help keep a steady supply for him. Even tho I have plenty of dandelions and some other weeds around he won't touch them.

daniellenc

Maryland
Welp mines the weirdo response but I only gave fruit 2 a week always on his greens mashed in. Sometimes just once to be honest. S/he started on greens and weeds and finely chopped veggies. Mostly zucchini, squash, red pepper, and mushroom. Flowers are a huge hit here to as well. Now that he’s one his greens are a daily staple with fruit mixed in, or his veggie mix,or mazuri, or flowers that are safe. Also, cactus. I get fresh turnip greens and dandelion but I found for mine at least big pieces are better than chopped. I grow testudo mix, pick clover spring and summer, broad leaf plantane, and whatever is local and safe. Variety seems to be the key so I’m always switching it up.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I feed greens daily. Twice a week i add fruit with the greens. Once a week i add vegetables with greens. Once every week or two i add protein with greens.

Bee62

Germany
Only to mention it:
Mushrooms contain protein too.
100 gr. mushroom contain 4,11 gr protein.

Jake1363

Only to mention it:
Should make sure to tell people you should only feed them mushrooms about once a month if that and you can just replace a protein day with it.

Pearly

5 Year Member

That’s great to know, thank you

Pearly

5 Year Member
Should make sure to tell people you should only feed them mushrooms about once a month if that and you can just replace a protein day with it.

Really? Do you know what the rationale for that is? Just wondering since it seems that for forest floor dwelling species mushrooms would be available to eat pretty often

Pearly

5 Year Member
Only to mention it:

Great point. Many people replace their grilled chicken breast of burger with a portabello mushroom... but I don’t. I love my yummy meats[emoji6] Also it seems that there has been a recurring theme in RF experts writings about their requirement for the ANIMAL protein. I am wrong on that? @Madkins007 , please?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
There is not a huge amount of protein in mushrooms to my knowledge. I forget but no more than 5% I believe, probably more protein in most foliage’s.
The down side of mushrooms is there is zero calcium in them, so this needs to be compensated in other areas of the diet to bring the calcium to phosphorus ratio back to the acceptable level of 2:1. Whether it be calcium powder or a more natural source like dandelions is up to the carer.
Also mushrooms have vitamin D in them. Which is good for bone growth. I believe it’s D2 and not D3. This means the body has some extra processing to do.

Jake1363

Really? Do you know what the rationale for that is? Just wondering since it seems that for forest floor dwelling species mushrooms would be available to eat pretty often
To be honest I don't have much information to back that up besides it seems to be a very popular opinion among keepers. I just feed them mushroom once in a blue moon if I think about it or they some times find the odd one that blooms in the yard. I'll find mushrooms with just the stalks left and I worry because I have no clue what kind they are. I've seen a few different ones.