Red-foot keeping in freezing winters anyone? + other ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Antigua West Indies
I am thinking of getting a red-foot tortoise everyone has great advice I have been reading so much a few things I'm still confused about.
I see that many do not use the UVB bulbs as it is unnecessary so long as they get some sunlight and a good diet..
But I live in Ontario Canada and I'm worried in the winter when I wont be able to take my tortoise outside for outdoor play that it will deteriorate..
Should I get a UVB bulb for winter?

I have another question.. would it be better to heat a small room up to the mid 80's or just the tortoise enclosure itself.
Is there a specific ceramic heater that is for reptiles or can I use a regular one?

Are human edible mushrooms ok to feed?

The calcium supplement is that for humans or am I looking at getting one specifically for tortoises..

It will be a few weeks before I actually get a tortoise.. so no need to panic if you think i'm doing something wrong.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Vita-Lite (its a tub florescent), its full spectrum, has low UVB (something less than 2%)... and it is actually used as a human therapy light too. My vet sent me a study that was just done, and the makers of Vita-Lite and some European bulb manufacture (that I couldnt find anyway to get a hold of their bulbs in the US) were the most accurate and safe for use with reptiles and birds.

oh, and I know the crimini/white mushrooms are okay. Fed them to my girl many times... otherwise I would be skeptical unless someone tells you they've personally fed their tort a certain mushroom a couple of times.

redharedwarf

5 Year Member
Alaska
I have the same worry that you have Shelli I live in alaska and onch the winter hits i'm afraid they won't get the right amount of UVB light.

Red

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I don't know how (i don't think you can) to order on their website ( http://servicelamp.com/about/contact.html ), but I am sure if you call the number provided (1-800-222-LAMP) and ask for Duro-Test's Vita-Lite (florescent tube) you should get one in about two weeks from ordering :)

Update: Oh yay I found the bulb at http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13405 (i recommend ordering the "fixture" option, it comes with both the light and fixture... at least from the other company it did).

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I kept a trio of redfoots in Michigan, Indiana, Minnesota, and Iowa successfully (they bred and nested) for over thirty years most of which without benefit of UVB (wasn't available). I don't believe it is as critical for RFs as most other torts. Besure to keep warm, humid, and don't forget protien source.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Thanks Larry the more I am reading about them the more they seem to fit into our home I'm getting excited... :)
I wonder if they like this humid dull rainy season we are having :/

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Shelli said:
I am thinking of getting a red-foot tortoise everyone has great advice I have been reading so much a few things I'm still confused about.
I see that many do not use the UVB bulbs as it is unnecessary so long as they get some sunlight and a good diet..
But I live in Ontario Canada and I'm worried in the winter when I wont be able to take my tortoise outside for outdoor play that it will deteriorate..
Should I get a UVB bulb for winter?

Either a low-level UVB bulb, or make sure there is adequate (but not too much) vitamin D3 in the diet. You can use vitamin D2, but it does not work as well.

I have another question.. would it be better to heat a small room up to the mid 80's or just the tortoise enclosure itself.
Is there a specific ceramic heater that is for reptiles or can I use a regular one?

Setting up a reptile room with the right background heat and humidity solves a lot of problems and causes others. If you only have the one habitat, it is probably better to just heat it up.

There is nothing special about reptile heaters. They are generally relatively safe in humid settings and have an upper limit that is fairly safe, but any heating system with good specs will work. You can often get good heaters at farm supply stores.

Are human edible mushrooms ok to feed? Yep!

The calcium supplement is that for humans or am I looking at getting one specifically for tortoises.. Calcium is calcium. Human calcium powder is usually cheaper and cleaner than reptile stuff. Just don't get any that has odd additives.

It will be a few weeks before I actually get a tortoise.. so no need to panic if you think i'm doing something wrong.

If you get a chance, try Mike Pingleton's new book 'The Redfoot Manual', and, if you want a deeper understanding, Vinke and Vetter's book 'South American Tortoises'. Great stuff![/b]

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
60 miles south of Chicago
So, not to hijack your thread, but on the topic of mushrooms:
I'm going to be ordering dandelion greens online for Stagger since after calling ALL my local grocery stores and fresh produce stores, NONE of them sell dandelion greens.
But the place I'm ordering from also has mushrooms available.

http://www.diamondorganics.com/prod_detail_list/27

I know they can eat mushrooms (since when they're hatchlings and hiding most of the time, I think a LOT of their diet in the wild consists of mushrooms, probably), but which mushrooms on there would be ok for him?

I do not eat mushrooms myself, so these would only be for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.