Red Foot New Enclosure Finally

COmtnLady

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Don't use the sprayers. misters, and things like that.
Your tort will have a hard time breathing in no time if you do, plus the substrate can go mildewed and moldy, especially under objects and in cracks.

If the substrate is wet from misters and sprayers. the tortoise has no dry area to be out of the dampness. They wheeze, blow bubbles, and sound like a kid with pneumonia amongst other respiratory problems. They get fungus on their plastron, and sometimes even shell rot.

Bullet Points:
Closed top,
a cup or so of water in the corners (when your tools tell you the humidity is going down),
80%s and 80Fs (27C)
dry areas, warm and not-so-warm places,
hides, enough room to move around,
food appropriate to the species that is varied,
hydration & soaks
coco coir and orchid bark substrate

Also, give the tortoise more time to acclimate to the new set-up. They don't think the way mammals do... change is possibly a way to get eaten, and also to not know where safe areas are.

Your Tort's got a cute face! And looks healthy and happy.
You're doing good.

Last edited:

ND135

Maryland
I second everything said.
To add, pack the substrate down tight. Dampen the substrate from pouring warm water into the corners and this will give the humidity needed without dampening the top layer, preventing shell rot. This will take place of the fogger which can cause health issues you don't want.
Fogger officially removed just now!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

ND135

Maryland
Make sure that the food and water dish are sunk into the substrate so it's easy for him to get in and out.
The water dish is. I have his current dish on slate so he doesn’t eat so much substrate. When he walks to the dish the substrate bulldozes into the dish

ND135

Maryland
The sensors that I linked in post#18 work great. I went with 4 sensors 1 in each corner cave and 1 on each side of the enclosure. I also have a camera for the enclosure and the cave mojo sleeps in.
What kind of sensors/system name do you use?

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
What kind of sensors/system name do you use?
SensorPush G1 WiFi/Ethernet Gateway. Receive Data/Alerts from Anywhere via Internet. No Monthly Fee. Unlimited History. Developed/Supported/Hosted in USA. iPhone/Android App/Web Dashboard/Alexa https://a.co/d/5OmHLkZ

Temperature/Humidity Sensor by SensorPush for iPhone/Android. Water Resistant, Made in USA https://a.co/d/2BnpW6e

ND135

Maryland
Hi!
1. What bulbs to you have in the domes? CHEs, ambient LEDs?
2. CHE without dome (the one near the UVB lamp) probably don't heat the basking area but the space below it. Did you check temperatures there? When CHE is placed too low and your tortoise will prefer to sleep under it this can be desiccating for its shell.

Nevertheless - good job, with more plants it will be really cool. Implement the changes suggested above to make it more safe and comfortable.
Just a quick follow up. I removed the CHE without dome and he is now sleeping on his "hide side" of the enclosure. Thanks for the tip!!!

ND135

Maryland
SensorPush G1 WiFi/Ethernet Gateway. Receive Data/Alerts from Anywhere via Internet. No Monthly Fee. Unlimited History. Developed/Supported/Hosted in USA. iPhone/Android App/Web Dashboard/Alexa https://a.co/d/5OmHLkZ

Temperature/Humidity Sensor by SensorPush for iPhone/Android. Water Resistant, Made in USA https://a.co/d/2BnpW6e
Thanks. This system is impressive!!

Meena

Orange County, CA
I’m finally thrilled to say I have finished my red foot’s new enclosure. He had been in a glass aquarium since last year.

He is nervous and needs time to adjust. I had a nice scene background in his glass enclosure that he seems to be missing but I know this is healthier for him in the long run.

More plants are on the way but I’m grateful for any input - something I’ve missed or overlooked?

Thanks!!
NR4 red foot momma
Hi there!

It looks amazing, I can tell you really put a lot of care into it! Having a cherry-head redfoot myself going on 2 years. I will say this only since it hasn't been mentioned...the edges look a little too short to me.

Whatever rock, plant, ramp, or den inside an enclosure mine climbs daily. Like my girl climbs over everything and has completely shifted her den around to where she finally wanted it. She literally easily can climb on top of it now that she is 2 years old.

I can't tell how tall your edges are from your photo, or how old/big your tort is. But mine is a cherry-head (slightly smaller cousin to yours) and she would easily find a way to climb out of those sides. The little stick ramp/arch thingy, mine would 100% move that to the edge and climb off it. But they all have different personalities, mine girl is super physical. But I am not an expert! Just a thought.

ND135

Maryland
Hi there!

It looks amazing, I can tell you really put a lot of care into it! Having a cherry-head redfoot myself going on 2 years. I will say this only since it hasn't been mentioned...the edges look a little too short to me.

Whatever rock, plant, ramp, or den inside an enclosure mine climbs daily. Like my girl climbs over everything and has completely shifted her den around to where she finally wanted it. She literally easily can climb on top of it now that she is 2 years old.

I can't tell how tall your edges are from your photo, or how old/big your tort is. But mine is a cherry-head (slightly smaller cousin to yours) and she would easily find a way to climb out of those sides. The little stick ramp/arch thingy, mine would 100% move that to the edge and climb off it. But they all have different personalities, mine girl is super physical. But I am not an expert! Just a thought.
That is SUCH a great point. I did think of that when I bought the garden bed and got talked out of higher sides. I believe the sides are 12" high. I had a bad feeling when he started climbing the spider plants. Funny thing tho he NEVER tried to climb out in his glass enclosure. I was really wondering if I should go viv. or enclosed like this. He grew up in glass and I wonder if he will want to climb out since now he can't see what he is used to seeing. However the humidity and other climate conditions were so difficult in a viv.

OMG the tortured life of a tort mom.

Thank you for the advice. I'll adjust the bridge thing when I get home this evening, but he is really most interested in climbing over the spider plants as leverage to see out.

Thanks again!