Red foot on hunger strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Robertsdale, AL
My RF won't eat anything, how long before she starts eating again? She will sniff the food and go on. I am putting fresh food in there everyday and she still won't eat. Please help! Its a mix of greens and red/yellow peppers.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Is she not eating because she's waiting for something better...something you gave her that she likes a lot, and is now holding off for the good stuff? Mine do that if I give them figs, or mazuri, or melons. It usually take a few days of them not eating and then they will finally come around again....use "tuff love".

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Tortoises can go for long periods without eating. Unless there is something seriously wrong healthwise,I wouldn't worry. When he gets hungry,he'll eat. If all else fails,offer a small piece of ripe banana. Just don't make it a habit,as banana is like crack to a tortoise. Very easy to get addicted to. Just be patient and don't worry,he'll eat eventually.Just be sure he is staying hydrated.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
I got her from Reptmart and she was eating Mazuri when I got her. I dig her out every morning so she can get something to drink and eat. I'm thinking part of it might be her area. She is in a 40 gallon tank, I am going to move her into a big plastic storage container (50 gal or bigger) next week since I live in an apartment.

jackrat said:
Tortoises can go for long periods without eating. Unless there is something seriously wrong healthwise,I wouldn't worry. When he gets hungry,he'll eat. If all else fails,offer a small piece of ripe banana. Just don't make it a habit,as banana is like crack to a tortoise. Very easy to get addicted to. Just be patient and don't worry,he'll eat eventually.Just be sure he is staying hydrated.

As far as I can tell she is fine, but I did notice some white lines on her. Okay I have done some reading on here and apparently the white line are from fast growth from possibly overfeeding. I don't see how it is possible that she is overfed, I never see her eat and never see any of her food eaten. On other note, she stays buried all day, mostly underneath the heat lamp, is that bad?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
jackrat said:

could'nt have said it better! .....

JD~:)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Hiding in the hot space suggests that the habitat is a bit cool. Double check your basic cares and such. That is a common reason for a poor appetite.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
Madkins007 said:
Hiding in the hot space suggests that the habitat is a bit cool. Double check your basic cares and such. That is a common reason for a poor appetite.

Okay. I am getting new lights later on this week. I think the turtle tank she is in might be contributing to it too. I am going to fix that problem, too.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
mel262011 said:
Madkins007 said:

Okay. I am getting new lights later on this week. I think the turtle tank she is in might be contributing to it too. I am going to fix that problem, too.
You might be better served by getting a CHE instead of a new light.You can put a plug in type dimmer switch on it and regulate heat pretty well.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
jackrat said:
mel262011 said:
Madkins007 said:

You might be better served by getting a CHE instead of a new light.You can put a plug in type dimmer switch on it and regulate heat pretty well.

I think my problem was the humidity. I got a reptifogger yesterday and she loves it. She was out all day and not hiding. She ate when I wasn't in there because some of her food is gone :D

Where can I buy a CHE?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You can get a CHE at many pet stores and on line sources. It is for heat only, no light, so a nice supplement and can be put on a timer.
But since she is better with the increased humidity, perhaps you can see how she does?

Status
Not open for further replies.