Red foot substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

becky4carl

5 Year Member
Hello, just setting up my viverium for my red foot adults that I have just bought, does anybody know what kind of sand I can use under the substrate, I read online that you can use kids play sand....... Not to sure if it's true or not.
Thanks Becky

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Becky:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

I don't like to use sand. My favorite is orchid bark, the fine grade. You can keep it moist and it doesn't sour or mold.

One of our moderators, madkins007, has a nice Tortoise Library in his signature. Look through there and find the article on the bio-active (I think that's what its called) substrate. Mark (madkins007) has redfoots of his own, and there is lots of redfoot reading material in his library.

becky4carl

5 Year Member
Sorry I am in Plymouth, Devon uk.... Every were I look on the net said to use sand

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
LOL! There are a thousand different sites, all with different opinions. In an aquarium setting, there is a certain benefit to having something under the substrate to let the substrate drain- but the benefit is fairly negligible and we can do it with other options.

The option you select will depend some on personal preference, local availability, habitat size and design, species needs, etc.

My two favorite options for red-footed tortoises are:
1. Hardwood mulch of shredded or chipped bark and wood. Locally, I use cypress mulch because it is cheap here. Douglas fir bark is also good- the fine grade is called 'orchid bark'. Pretty much any real wood mulch that is not loaded with chemicals or dyes, has rubber chunks in it, and does not smell like chemicals, pine, or cedar works.
2. A 'bioactive substrate', which is basically a mini-compost pile. You can learn more about it at https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/the-work-shop/substrates-1

Another common and well-liked solution is coconut coir (the tough stringy stuff made from the husk) or chopped husks. This is often mixed with a little sand for better drainage.

Status
Not open for further replies.