Red foot/ sulcata together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeepchief66

5 Year Member
Is there really that big of an issue with putting redfoots and sulcatas in the same enclosure the enclosure is about 1 acre in size and has lots of shade and lots of Sun and lots of weeds that both of them eat I understand that their diets are different but they both have been eating the same weeds and fruit on occasion

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using TortForum mobile app

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR.
I only separate my reds & Sully's because my Sulcata's (2 of them do it) "trip out" on black shells so they charge my reds but with no ill intent, they just see a round black object and charge it like a huge head of cabbage or melon... So they get nudged, no damage or flipped; they just get a bump... But to avoid stress & cross contamination i keep them separated... However my mate has a Red and Sully both adult Females live heavenly together in an acre of land around his five bed room home..... This subject is always debated. However i look at it this way, if they are healthy; seen a vet or what not & i feel safe with them together then I go for it. But its really a choice. & sometimes i give the Torts the choice... To see who can befriend one another... ;-) a little weird but hey im happy/healthy and so are my kids ... And their offspring tooooo... :)

abclements

5 Year Member
It's not the dietary needs that you should be really worried about. The major problem is diseases that the other has never been exposed too. It's possible that this may not happen, but it's a very real possibility that could end in death of one or both of your torts :(

Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are potential death, disease, injury, and long term chronic stress that big of an issue for you? They are for me.

In my opinion, there is no benefit to mixing species and a lot of risk. I equivocate it to Russian roulette. If six people play, five of them will walk away completely unharmed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Maybe somebody else can find the thread and link it, but there is a thread from a member here where a female sulcata rammed and injured her male. She gave away the female and her vet is recommending amputation for the males leg. The potential for what a sulcata would or could do during a potential encounter could be devastating, not to mention disease potential for different species from different continents.

With such a large area, it would be so easy to just divide it in half.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It shouldn't be done, dangerous and by the time you figure it out, it could be too late.

tyrs4u said:
I only separate my reds & Sully's because my Sulcata's (2 of them do it) "trip out" on black shells so they charge my reds but with no ill intent, they just see a round black object and charge it like a huge head of cabbage or melon... So they get nudged, no damage or flipped; they just get a bump... But to avoid stress & cross contamination i keep them separated... However my mate has a Red and Sully both adult Females live heavenly together in an acre of land around his five bed room home..... This subject is always debated. However i look at it this way, if they are healthy; seen a vet or what not & i feel safe with them together then I go for it. But its really a choice. & sometimes i give the Torts the choice... To see who can befriend one another... ;-) a little weird but hey im happy/healthy and so are my kids ... And their offspring tooooo... :)

Why do you think it's just the black shell and not the fact it's a tortoise that should not be with them? I would bet if you left them together, you would have some dead or badly injured RF.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Well I never leave them alone... Plus they're on candid camera :)
But; I did try things like handballs or soccer balls anything dark or round they nudge it and leave... I'll see if I can get a video of it... (them with toys; not with torts)... =]

wellington said:
It shouldn't be done, dangerous and by the time you figure it out, it could be too late.

tyrs4u said:

Why do you think it's just the black shell and not the fact it's a tortoise that should not be with them? I would bet if you left them together, you would have some dead or badly injured RF.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Red foot/ sulcata together

Tom said:
Maybe somebody else can find the thread and link it, but there is a thread from a member here where a female sulcata rammed and injured her male. She gave away the female and her vet is recommending amputation for the males leg. The potential for what a sulcata would or could do during a potential encounter could be devastating, not to mention disease potential for different species from different continents.

With such a large area, it would be so easy to just divide it in half.

I remember that thread... Dang.

I vote for dividing it on half too.

I keep my different species separated. Better safe than sorry.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Status
Not open for further replies.