Red-foot terrarium help please

tortygma

Location (City and/or State)
Littleton CO
Hello from Colorado -

I have 2 red-foots; one male, Rudolph ~60 yrs old (I’ve had him since 1978) and one female, Morrison ~20 yrs old (I’ve had her for about 10 years). Rudolph lost his original mate, Happy in 2012, and now Morrison is his new “love interest.”

Rudolph was very aggressive in his pursuit of Morrison this past spring and summer to point that Morrison became quite sick with a respiratory infection, and general weakness. (She hasn’t been strong enough to walk since mid-summer.) I took her to the local vet several times and she received cephalexin (?sp) injections over the course of the summer. I separated the 2 torts a few months ago as well.

Morrison was x-rayed and we learned she is egg bound with 2 eggs. The vet referred Morrison to the Colo State Univ Veterinary Teaching Hospital to assess if the eggs could be removed laparoscopically vs cutting through her shell.

The good news is they can remove eggs without damaging her shell. The bad news is Morrison is too sick to survive the anesthesia at this point. I’m soaking and tube feeding her fine critical care daily, and giving her ceftiofur injections every 10 days.

CSU vets recommended I create a temperature/humidity controlled environment so I ordered a large terrarium for Morrison. It’s scheduled to arrive this week.

I’ve never kept a red-foot in a terrarium before and would appreciate any and all advice you may have regarding substrate, lighting, temperature, etc.

Thanks so much!

Lynn (aka tortygma)