red foot update :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Ophelia, my largest tortoise, I have had for roughly almost a year now. I just wanted to take some photos and show/tell how she is doing. She eats a Monstrosity of food! (is that normal) and has grown to come to my voice, I mist her around twice a day

the current humidity is 79% and the temp is around 81

DSCN1407.jpg
DSCN1409.jpg
DSCN1408.jpg

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
She's a pretty tortoise :) I love her name!

LindaF

5 Year Member
What a big and pretty girl! LOL I have one that also eats a "Monstrosity of food"!

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
:D shes huge, and thank you! at least i know its normal that she eats SOOO much ha ha

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Lots of food?- Normal. Just don't let it be too many carbs and sugars- not too much fruit, etc.

Comes when you call?- Probably not. Tortoises do not really respond to most sounds other than the noises made by hatching eggs, fighting males, and mating. HOWEVER, it can easily see and smell you, and associate you with food- almost the same thing.

Temps/humidity- I'd love to see both get a little higher if possible, at least in some parts of the habitat.

I'm so glad things are going well!

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
bummer. but thanks, im trying to get the temps up a lot more, but its difficult (especially it being winter)

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
she is looking good Heather!! (hope I remember your name correctly, if not sorry :) )

You can clearly see her new growth coming in great.

We know your pain on temps and humidity, you're making progress.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Don't stress about it. It'll work out OK. Heck, I've been sitting here in Omaha during this monster storm (which mostly missed us) and wondering why I am not raising pet rats or something more tolerant of our climate while it is 8f outside and dry as a bone in the house.

What is the temp on the ground in the hottest spot? In the hides? If some of them are closer to 87-90, you should be OK. There are lots of ways to make humid hides- some of the ideas are on the Library at http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/lhh.html

Status
Not open for further replies.