Red foot

Tortoisesxx

I have been here a week. I have a 4 month old red foot currently and want another one. I will quarantine 3-6 months as I was told but am wondering can I stick them together after that? (Not mating) I don't want to buy a whole nother set of lights,plants,food/water bowls,etc when I can keep them together if possible. Any advice is appreciated.

abclements

5 Year Member
Hi! Glad you're here picking up some good info! Reds are one of few tortoises that do well in herds, but I cannot suggest a pair. Three or more is best if you want more than 1. Unfortunately mating can't be stopped if they are opposite sex... my question is how do you plan to quarantine if you don't buy a whole new setup?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
no pair's 3 or more if you want more then one

if your new to torts i'd also suggest waiting to get another just wait a year and watch time change and how much you learn and need to know then if you want one go for

never even think of adding another unless you can add another full enclosure as well as sometime in the future it maybe necessary to separate them

Tortoisesxx

Hi! Glad you're here picking up some good info! Reds are one of few tortoises that do well in herds, but I cannot suggest a pair. Three or more is best if you want more than 1. Unfortunately mating can't be stopped if they are opposite sex... my question is how do you plan to quarantine if you don't buy a whole new setup?
He is 4 months old. I have reasearched a lot and want another but I don't want to buy and have 3 it seems too much and I'm only allowed one more. I have a tubware container I used for my tort which he moved into something bigger so I'd use that. I just mean I don't want to expand two cages at the same time when I could put them together and expand like that. I was told I could keep two together.

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Welcome to the forum. My advise would be to only have one red foot or three red foots. Two is just not a good idea. There is a possibility that two would be fine together but there is a much greater possibility there could be problems.

abclements

5 Year Member
Two may work. But let me emphasise MAY. If it does, awesome. But is it really worth the risk. Obviously the choice is up to you, but if you do decide to go with 2, I would strongly suggest that you have all the necessary equipment to house them separately if they do not get along.

abclements

5 Year Member
If you're worried about 3 being too much, I would just stay with your one and enjoy that one. I've only had one and I love it. You can devote everything to just one tort instead of having to spread out.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Please put the lives of your tortoises into consideration as they do not do well in pairs and this could lead to unnecessary stress and bullying. ESPECIALLY if you don't have the means to accommodate them (I have no idea what your set up is like, or how big your enclosure is, though). Keep in mind they can grow up to 16 inches in adulthood. While your 4 month old is small now, it won't be for long.

Herds can work in large enclosures and with monitoring. In pairs, I can tell you right now that the experts on this forum will not recommend it.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
My tortoises enclosure is a 4x4, it takes up 1/4 of one of my rooms, and it is for ONE tortoise. She is about 4 years old and 8 inches long. I wish I had a bigger enclosure for her as many would recommend 4x6 or even 4x8. If you do get two, be EXTRA careful. I would buy two of everything, I don't think there is any way around buying the extra equipment.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
If it were me I'd wait a year to get both the original tort and myself acclimated to life together. You can research all day long but until you've done it you won't know what works or doesn't for you.. also if you're observing two torts while getting the feel for both you may miss a small problem that you'd catch in a one on one situation. Just my two cents worth..