Red footed and yellow footed tortoises

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Why spend money for a UVB if he doesn't have to?
Because he doesn’t have an outdoor space to house the tortoise yet, it’s still very young, the tortoise hasn’t received any uv at all yet, so I do think it’s important to get added, it’s the only way for the tortoise to get daily uv right now🙂

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
So I have a little pickle I have $300 in savings but thats for his medical bills and like his emergency money I will be making 60-70 dollars this weekend but 30 of it is going to my dad he bought my shot vac and the mister sadley the mister was a waste of money the point is I will only make 30-40 dollars witch is not enough for everything for example I need the uvb light and the
You can get away with not getting the uvb right now. Get urself a cheap tub that u can let him outside for some uvb a few hrs/ weak when weather permits. Just make sure the tub has plenty of shade.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No it’s ok no worries, I just know this member has gotten his wires crossed on a few things so wanted to clarify for them🙂
They don’t currently have an outdoor set up for their tortoise to receive some daily uv like yours, uv can’t be given through diet, the uv light is what helps them metabolise vitamin D3 from their diet, which then allows them to absorb the calcium they need👍least that’s always been my understanding😊
@Maggie3fan is basically correct, but she used the wrong word. The RF tortoise doesn't get UV from its diet, but rather Vitamin D from eating the animal protein.

In nature, herbivorous tortoises acquire all of their vitamin D3 requirements as a result of a chemical reaction in the skin, following exposure to the UV-B spectrum of sunlight.

In contrast, Redfooted tortoises, like water turtles, Vitamin D can be obtained through the skin when it is exposed to UV light or through the consumption of foods that contain vitamin D2 or D3 .