Red Foots Mating

Status
Not open for further replies.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I really need to post here more.

So, tonight when I went to put up my tortoises, ( I lock them up every night) I heard a honking noise coming from the tall grass. Upon further inspection, I found my male on top of my female, who actually hated him a few months ago. I've seen him only mount once, with my smaller female, but never the large one. I have seen a series of head movements exchanged between the male and females, usually while meeting at the pond in the morning. It did rain last night, for a short period, and several surrounding showers tonight, so perhaps that triggered something. Although, it is still very dry here, in Texas.

I believe they were successful, as after they finished, the female's vent was exposed and wet. The female is nearly 10 inches in length, but has never laid eggs. This is their first season with a male. When should I expect her to begin nesting? Also, they have a burrow all 3 share, is it possible that she would try to lay them in there? Can I create a nesting site?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
theguy67 said:
I really need to post here more.

So, tonight when I went to put up my tortoises, ( I lock them up every night) I heard a honking noise coming from the tall grass. Upon further inspection, I found my male on top of my female, who actually hated him a few months ago. I've seen him only mount once, with my smaller female, but never the large one. I have seen a series of head movements exchanged between the male and females, usually while meeting at the pond in the morning. It did rain last night, for a short period, and several surrounding showers tonight, so perhaps that triggered something. Although, it is still very dry here, in Texas.

I believe they were successful, as after they finished, the female's vent was exposed and wet. The female is nearly 10 inches in length, but has never laid eggs. This is their first season with a male. When should I expect her to begin nesting? Also, they have a burrow all 3 share, is it possible that she would try to lay them in there? Can I create a nesting site?

If everything took ... she should nest in about 30-45 days. Young and first time females are difficult to "guestimate their routine" until you have delt with her a few times. Yes she will lay among house mates , although some girls like complete seclusion. I too have a nesting box within the hides as my girls lay year around....in and out of the huts. Tom also has a good thread about nesting boxes..... Just make sure your substrate is deep enough 16" min. She will dig half of that up ...look for tell tell signs before nesting ... loss of appetite, soaking for long periods, restlessness and pacing around and long drinks. Also a first time female may " fake nest" a few times before she actually lays . I firmly believe it is a learning experience for the tortoise and the more mature they become the better at nesting technique.
Happy Hatching .....

JD~:)

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the reply. I'm just worried she may lay them down in the burrow, where I can not access them.

Also, for the record. They are in a large 30ft x 30ft enclosure (part being indoors) so it is difficult to keep tabs on all of them, especially since I am gone half the day, except weekends. I do have an old dog house that can be used as a laying box, but I just hope that she can find it.

The eggs may not even tank, but seeing how I caught them in the act today, I assume they have been "going at it" for a while now, especially since she has finally accepted him. Perhaps this is the first successful attempt? Even though he is larger than the females right now, he is 2nd in the pecking order, just above the smallest female. When initially introduced, the largest female would chase him around, and bite his legs as he ran away. Now I no longer see this behavior and it appears she actually favors him, as (from what I've seen) he usually "asks" for permission, and is not aggressive. It is actually very interesting watching a "conversation" between 2 of them, as it can last several minutes.

Are there any physical signs she would be carrying eggs in the coming weeks? I don't imagine they gain very much weight? In their enclosure, they have all the grass/weeds, and hibiscus flowers they can eat, but I will continue with feeding greens, and some fruits so she dose not reject them, or become egg bound. Any changes in diet that should be made for a gravid female?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
they actually do put on weight and with experience dealing with your tortoise you can tell when she is gravid. They are very, very sneaky at covering up their nest …and if not visually seen where they start to dig … it can be difficult to find the nest . One option is to install video surveillance 24/7 that you can scroll thru and find any times you may have not been around .I have that available both in and outside the huts within the yard.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
N2TORTS said:
they actually do put on weight and with experience dealing with your tortoise you can tell when she is gravid. They are very, very sneaky at covering up their nest …and if not visually seen where they start to dig … it can be difficult to find the nest . One option is to install video surveillance 24/7 that you can scroll thru and find any times you may have not been around .I have that available both in and outside the huts within the yard.

That's a good idea. It would also offer some nice insight of their daily activities. I suppose I could also separate her, to a smaller area for a while with a nesting site. I will also monitor her weight. Only troubling thing is, even though I may not see her lay/find eggs, doesn't mean she didn't have any.

What about the burrow?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
take some shots of the so called " burrow"... I might be thinking something different ... and my assumption would be NO they would not lay in a deep underground spot. They know the eggs need sunlight to warm the surrounding dirt for incubation ....not just the break down of organic material within the soil that also provides heat during this time .

theguy67

10 Year Member!
N2TORTS said:
take some shots of the so called " burrow"... I might be thinking something different ... and my assumption would be NO they would not lay in a deep underground spot. They know the eggs need sunlight to warm the surrounding dirt for incubation ....not just the break down of organic material within the soil that also provides heat during this time .

Its literally a tunnel that is about 5 ft in length, 2 ft underground. It has been there for a while, and all 3 use it, especially when It gets hot. I was worried they would tunnel out, but they have not progressed, so I decided to let them keep it.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
theguy67 said:
N2TORTS said:

Its literally a tunnel that is about 5 ft in length, 2 ft underground. It has been there for a while, and all 3 use it, especially when It gets hot. I was worried they would tunnel out, but they have not progressed, so I decided to let them keep it.

maybe they think their sullies ! ....:p

theguy67

10 Year Member!
It was actually my sulcata's old burrow. I swapped their pens. I didn't see any issue with leaving it, especially since it provides a cooler/damper enviorment during hot/dry seasons. I also do not see much risk of a cave in, as it goes under part of the shed's foundation/slab. The redfoots only seem to like to dig in mud puddles, lol especially today.

I'll keep an eye on her, and the other female too. It started raining today ( all day) so that may further stimulate breeding. I also read that they tend to nest in the fall/winter, so perhaps the timing is just right.

Time to put together the incubator!

Status
Not open for further replies.