Red infected eye!

Myla Greek tortoise

In the summer I usually put my tortoises outside during the day. My one year old sulcata tortoise has never had this problem or any problem close to this. His eyes have been completely normal until ab 30 minutes ago. I’m having to hold him so he doesn’t scratch his eyes. I don’t know how to help him. I applied some turtle eye drops on his eyes. I can tell he Is very stressed, but I can't let him roam or he will end up scratching his eye with his arms again.

1591312933908.jpeg

1591312914904.jpeg

1591312727078.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ouch. That's a new one for me. Possibly an insect sting, or a puncture from a spine of some sort? That seems like something a vet should look at.

Myla Greek tortoise

Ouch. That's a new one for me. Possibly an insect sting, or a puncture from a spine of some sort? That seems like something a vet should look at.

Its on both eyes though, the other eye isn't really noticeable. I did bath him about 2 days ago maybe his stool infected his eyes?.. I always make sure to replace the water and continue to bath him when the water gets to gross.

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
i believe a prescription eyedrop is what is needed , it appears to be inflamed nictating membranes , third eyelids …….. an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory ……….. possibly something over the counter for dry eye , artificial tears , might get him some relief ……. as mentioned earlier a vet should not have much problem with it