Red or yellow footed tortoise?

Mfields72

Location (City and/or State)
Columbus
@ZEROPILOT and @Yvonne G I'm not questioning you at all. You know much more than I do. Can you say why it's a redfoot and not a yellowfoot? I want to learn. Thanks in advance.
In my opinion they look nothing alike the shells are a totally different color and the yellow foots head and face are well.... yellow! Hence the name yellow foot

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
looks like a yellow footed tortoise my red footed one has bright orangish feet spots.
Read the other posts.
They explain this.
Redfoot tortoises can be anything from bright red. To orange and bright yellow to very drab coloration.
Yellow foot can have some bright yellow to an almost tan color.
Its not the color yellow or red that identifies a Yellowfoot or a Redfoot. They're different species. And have several different characteristics. And the care they require is also slightly different.
But either of them can look similar of you don't know what to look for.

One of the three foster Redfoot that are in my care now. The family was told was a Yellowfoot. And for years they believed it. His coloration is pale orange and yellow. But he's 100% Redfoot.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
In my opinion they look nothing alike the shells are a totally different color and the yellow foots head and face are well.... yellow! Hence the name yellow foot
To me. It's the nose scales and the shape of the scutes on the carapace. Yellowfoot look jagged compared to a Redfoot.