Redcata?

nicoleann2214

Location (City and/or State)
NY
Have you guys ever heard of a redcata? I didn’t know it was a thing til now it’s a sulcata and red foot breed mixed. Really different.. ?

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I normally don’t sign on to Facebook but I stumbled across the hybrid tortoise group that this picture was posted on. Like gawking at a train wreck I had to go look at all the pictures.

These are probably the only hybrids that I find visually attractive, but I share the ethical concerns. There might be an ethical path to create hybrid “domesticated” tortoises but humanity can’t be trusted to follow it. Even if a breeder making hybrids is careful (e.g. avoids spreading diseases or polluting gene pools), the existence of these hybrids enables others who are not so ethical.

SPILL

Illinois
It's heartbreaking to see mixes like this. The diet problem is bad enough, but soon you won't be able to find a full blooded, pure leopard or sulcata.

Man fools with a lot of stuff that he really needs to leave alone. ??
I'd hate to see tortoises go the way of the bearded dragon or various geckos where it seems like with all the fancy morphs you just don't see many normals.

qiangzhu

Washington
And does anyone know if these hybrid tortoises are sterile like mules (a cross between a horse and a donkey)? Personally, I hope they are.
I think they should be like mule or liger or tigon. They will not be that unhealthy or have short life but they may not be able to breed next generation.

I do see pictures of very large (at least 10 inches) sulcata-leopard hybrid tortoises before

EllyMae

Shellman, GA
And does anyone know if these hybrid tortoises are sterile like mules (a cross between a horse and a donkey)? Personally, I hope they are.

That would depend on the number of chromosomes. To make sexually viable offspring, it comes down to the number of chromosomes. Horses have 64. Donkeys have 62. Mules and Hinnys have 63.
Animals that have an odd number of chromosomes are usually sterile because their chromosomes can’t be divided evenly during meiosis.
Does anyone know the number of chromosomes in Sulcatas or Redfoots?

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
That would depend on the number of chromosomes. To make sexually viable offspring, it comes down to the number of chromosomes. Horses have 64. Donkeys have 62. Mules and Hinnys have 63.
Animals that have an odd number of chromosomes are usually sterile because their chromosomes can’t be divided evenly during meiosis.
Does anyone know the number of chromosomes in Sulcatas or Redfoots?
I was researching the number of chromosomes in various tortoises and not finding the answer I was looking for when I found this rather fascinating article and I thought I’d post it even though it isn’t quite on topic. https://dnascience.plos.org/2018/12...nt-lonesome-george-leaves-clues-to-longevity/

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Best I’ve found so far is that all tortoises have 52 pair of chromosomes. I could be wrong.