Redfoot Butt Wiggling?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I know that this is not exclusive to Redfoot, but I have a question.
A while ago I found that if I spray my big male in the butt area with a garden hose, he will stop and wiggle his rear in the air. Even push into the stream and roll sideways!
Later on, I found that one of my females responds in the same way, but this time I was gently cleaning my VERY ILL female. Mind you, she barely moves for anything and is so weak that she drags her body around and can not lift her own weight, but if I use a little brush on her rear, she lifts clean off of the ground and starts wiggling.
My question is has anyone determined if this is a pleasurable behavior or caused by an annoyance?
How is it that a tortoise than can most days pass for a dead one, will perk up and dance?

Turtlepete

South Florida
I would certainly describe it as a pleasurable behavior. I based this conclusion off of the fact that all of my adults will back up to hibiscus bushes and wiggle their butts against the base like that. If I put my hand on the butt of their shell, they do the same thing. And they love being sprayed with a stream of water.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
If its enjoyable, then keep spraying. It might give her something to look forward to everyday or so.

Octavious22

5 Year Member
California
I heard somewhere that it's because they're ticklish so it must be pleasurable to them jaja my Redfoots and my leopard torts do that. They also use the fallen pine cones to scratch themselves.

Last edited:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yep. I agree with turtlepete. I've found mine rubbing there back end on trees and rocks. If I rub the back of the 4th centre scute on any of my reds they do the dance.

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
When my tort does is I think he really enjoys it. He usually does it when he comes out the bath or when he 1st goes outside so I have made it up in my head that he does it when he's happy. I must say I think I enjoy it more than him in any case though! :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Does anyone think that we are just annoying them for our own pleasure. Just a small thought in the back of my mind.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Does anyone think that we are just annoying them for our own pleasure. Just a small thought in the back of my mind.

it's possible they're not like a dog so they can't openly display that they enjoy it, based on the behavior tho i doubt it they don't attempt to walk away or pull in