Redfoot cant see food!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mypalshelton

5 Year Member
Ok, my little guy has had eye problems due to humidity issues, but i think we finally have it under control.....yet it seems like he cant see his food. He overshoots it with a huge, opened mouth...almost as if he is eating air. I can drop food in his mouth and he eats it no problem. Yet, on his own, i worry that he find enough to eat.

Thoughts?
Shelton and i thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Holly:

Try to find some Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment. If you don't have a feed store in your city, then you can buy it online.

In the mean time, chop up the food in very small bite-sized pieces and place it up against the wall in a high pile. Then when Shelton tries to bite at it, it doesn't move away from him.

Mypalshelton

5 Year Member
Thanks so much...would you assume the strange biting behavior is simply eyesite related?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, I would assume so. It might just be that he can't see out of one eye, or they're not focusing together. If he can see at all, it will probably get better in time.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have/had a little RF that was an air biter ....it took a couple weeks of hand feeding her piece by piece (I would cut the pile size I wanted her to consume then piece by piece I would feed her as much as she would take) I did this to make sure she would stay strong enough to keep interested...then after she was eating the whole pile I was feeding her I would pile the food and let her have at it...as she took bites she would flatten the pile and would lose interest so each time the pile went flat I would just fluff the pile and we did this for awhile...then I tried feeding her in her enclosure on a flat surface and piled the food to begin with and she eventually cleared the whole pile..although it took awhile she did it...and now once in awhile I will fluff the pile still but rarely...actually the other day when I reached to fluff for there she tucked her head in and rushed towards my hand and rammed me....LOVE LOVE LOVED it....so be tenacious and your tort should develop a system that works...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.