REDFOOT HYPOMANIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Here a glimpse of some of the variations of Hypo RedFoot Hatchlings Produced at the Cove'…thus far in 2013' …and more to come ~ ;)

Happy Tort~N …….

JD~:shy:
*yes these are available….as they come of age .

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I have to say these guys don't do it for me. I would take a smooth adult red foot anyday over these but I suppose everybody has there likes and hates

apromann4

5 Year Member
philippines
Woww Jd, nice tort, you really master breeding different kinds of redfoots

Sent from my S100 using TortForum mobile app

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Right I have a question regarding this. How does the whole hypo thing work in terms of dna etc.? How come we see no hypos in the wild-if it causes them to die off then maybe we shouldn't be playing with nature?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
FLINTUS said:
I have to say these guys don't do it for me. I would take a smooth adult red foot anyday over these but I suppose everybody has there likes and hates

I agree with you.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
FLINTUS said:
Right I have a question regarding this. How does the whole hypo thing work in terms of dna etc.? How come we see no hypos in the wild-if it causes them to die off then maybe we shouldn't be playing with nature?

You need to read up a bit more .....
By having the hypomelenistic gene “ which in simple terms means ,less or no black in the meleninin , has nothing to do with them “dying off”. Shell and scale coloring is achieved through pigment synthesis, Melanocytes manufacture two types of melanin: the black/brown photo-protective eumelanin pigment, and the red-yellow cytotoxic phaeomelanin pigment. Several paracrine factors secreted primarily by surrounding keratinocytes are involved in the melanogenic pathway by stimulating the switch between phaeomelanin and eumelanin It’s pretty obvious of why you wouldn’t see many hypos in the wild , but that’s common sense. The fact that a mutation has occurred in a color pattern does not make it any less of a quality animal. One should realize when this type of “unusual event” occurs…. do not necessarily reach the conclusion that the parents are “not” the parents. Mutations have occurred in all breeds of reptiles and mammals to date; some good and some that are not. In humans - Red hair , blue and green eyes are all forms of a “mutation” and not all that favorable, ask a blue eyed person about how the sun effects their eyes. There are many cases of genetic mutation, which has not affected the quality of the animal but may have an affect on the sellers/owners of the animal through owning something different with mind blowing colors other than the massed produced imported “farmed tortoise” and or raping the wild of “ normal looking” species. And like you mentioned …..to each their own. I’d take a blonde over a red head any day! :p

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
This is an interesting thread, but some is over my head with scientific terms. Can you please translate the following parts into more common English for me???

"...red-yellow cytotoxic phaeomelanin pigment." (Their own pigment is TOXIC to their cells??!?!?!!) and...

"Several paracrine factors secreted primarily by surrounding keratinocytes are involved in the melanogenic pathway by stimulating the switch between phaeomelanin and eumelanin." (I'd REALLY like to know what this means!!!) and...

"It's pretty obvious of why you wouldn't see many hypos in the wild, but that's common sense." (...Because their coloring is not good for camoflage from predators???)

Thanks!!!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
FLINTUS said:

We do see them in the wild....Hypos are brought in every year from Colombia/Venezuela and Guyana. A pair of adult Albinos popped up last month in Guyana also...

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
EricIvins said:
FLINTUS said:

We do see them in the wild....Hypos are brought in every year from Colombia/Venezuela and Guyana. A pair of adult Albinos popped up last month in Guyana also...

Hypos can evidently do just fine 'in the wild'. A number of imports have been wild caught adults. Not as sure about true albinos though.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Moozilion said:
This is an interesting thread, but some is over my head with scientific terms. Can you please translate the following parts into more common English for me???

"...red-yellow cytotoxic phaeomelanin pigment." (Their own pigment is TOXIC to their cells??!?!?!!) and...

"Several paracrine factors secreted primarily by surrounding keratinocytes are involved in the melanogenic pathway by stimulating the switch between phaeomelanin and eumelanin." (I'd REALLY like to know what this means!!!) and...

It is not in plain English because it wasn't written for 'regular people'.

Coat colours in mammals depend on skin and hair pigment synthesis. Melanocytes manufacture two types of melanin: the black/brown photo-protective eumelanin pigment, and the red-yellow cytotoxic phaeomelanin pigment. Several paracrine factors secreted primarily by surrounding keratinocytes are involved in the melanogenic pathway by stimulating the switch between phaeomelanin and eumelanin [1]. In this pathway, microphthalmia transcription factor (MITF) plays a central role by regulating the expression of the TYR (Tyrosinase), TRP-1 (Tyrosine Related Protein) and DCT (Dopachrome Tautomerase) genes that encode enzymes involved in pigment manufacture [2,3].

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I'm a sucker for orange coloration in redfoots, I love that last picture. The whole project is mind blowing, you've done a great job!

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Didn't realize there were so many hypo haters out there! :p
Guess that's why everyone has different tastes. Wish I was lucky enough to be more attracted to less pricey animals. I spend too much of my money on exotics! Although, I wouldn't trade my hypos for anything! :)

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
I don't think I'd ever get one, but I do enjoy seeing pictures of everything JD has produced and gotten to hatch out. It's fun and interesting learning about hypo's and the different kinds of hypos there are, color wise. And although some may not like hypos you have to admit its pretty crazy how many hypos this guy can and will produce! Teaches us a lot i would say :) Keep them pipping!

Status
Not open for further replies.