Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You will probably have to partially cover the enclosure. With the moist substrate and spagnuhm (sp?) moss in the hide, it will stay humid longer with a partial or full cover.

Yvonne

JohnMcD

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
You will probably have to partially cover the enclosure. With the moist substrate and spagnuhm (sp?) moss in the hide, it will stay humid longer with a partial or full cover.

thanks

chadk

10 Year Member!
Also keep in mind that the most important humidity will be right at the surface of the substrate. So that's why I think a nice hide sitting on moist substrate with a layer of moss would work great. Assuming they sleep and nap and use the hide in general, you should have little worries. Just check for the right dampness often and add water when needed. I have a water dish on both ends of min, then on one side there is a big plastic bin (sweater box size) that is filled with a soil\sand\coir type mix up to 5 or 6 inches. I built the hide on top of that and added spag moss. Mine isn't a redfoot though, so I also have plenty of dry places to roam and bask under the UVB lamp.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Humidity can be tricky. A common solution is to moisten the substrate, which is a good option if the substrate can be kept warm- warm room, warm floor, under-floor warmer of some sort. If the substrate is not warmed somehow, you run the risk of a clammy substrate which is not so good.

Other humidification techniques include:

- The fish tank method- a heavy container of water that is warmed to a few degrees more than the habitat. A bubbler or small fountain makes it even better. As long as you have a heated tank of water, may as well use it for tropical fish! A warmed fountain, waterfall, etc. works also.

- The warm vapor humidifer. A plain warm humidifier from a store, or a home made equivalent, can be 'ducted' to the right location, set on a timer, etc. to do a good job. The warm vapor will evaporate up and out, but since it is constantly refreshed it is not a big deal

- Humid hide. Sew some sphagnum moss up in a linen bag (or some similar absorbent material in a not-eatable container). Soak it in warm water and hang it in a hide or other enclosed area.

- Live plants. It takes a bigger habitat, but live plants make a big difference- especially if they form a living dome or hiding area.

The best solution is usually a combination of things, and you can add more by adding things like a slow drip (in plants, on a sponge, on a 'wall of moss', etc.)

Using fogging misters, ultrasonic misters, etc. is common, but be careful- they drop the temps about 10 degrees and can contribute to respiratory problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.