Redfoot maturity

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have four Redfoot. One male and three females. It is a harmonious group after lots of adding and removing members until I found a group that "worked" in my tropical out door enclosure/pen.
All of the tortoises are a little more than 6 years old and quite large and healthy. Although there has been a lot of mating that included at least with two of the three females, the only result has been three clutches of tiny and infertile eggs.
Is there a magic age for successful egg laying of fertile and normal sized eggs?
By January 2017 all but one will be seven years old.
I've always figured that mating and egg laying should happen at a certain size. They are certainly of that size.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
I have four Redfoot. One male and three females. It is a harmonious group after lots of adding and removing members until I found a group that "worked" in my tropical out door enclosure/pen.
All of the tortoises are a little more than 6 years old and quite large and healthy. Although there has been a lot of mating that included at least with two of the three females, the only result has been three clutches of tiny and infertile eggs.
Is there a magic age for successful egg laying of fertile and normal sized eggs?
By January 2017 all but one will be seven years old.
I've always figured that mating and egg laying should happen at a certain size. They are certainly of that size.
Can't help you Ed. But I think yours are only just hitting maturity, I have some at 10"+ SCL and haven't laid any eggs at all that I know of.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Generally, the girl's anal opening needs to be large enough to fit a ping pong ball. I have a cherry female that matured at 8+" and then I have Cherry Pie who is at least 10" (i'll measure her to give an exact size) and her anal opening is still very small. (If she is really a girl!)