Redfoot not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

noabert

5 Year Member
Hi,

I have had my redfoot for four years. He is now about 5-6 inches long and has a nice smooth shell. I usually feed him mixed greens with some fruit worked into it ( and a calcium/vitimen powder). About a week ago he stopped eating and starting getting really lethargic. Other than these symptoms there were no signs of him being unhealthy. I was in the middle of exams and probably let the enclosure get dirtier than it should have. Other than that everything (heat, humidity, quality of hide and water) has remained the same. Anyways I have since completely cleaned it out. Since he seems to have been getting better energy but is yet to eat anything. On occasion he noses around his dish but never actually opens his mouth (or atleast when I observe him). Any suggestions?

thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Noabert:

14941bmsnmpwbe5.gif

to the forum!!!

Can you shoot us a picture of your habitat including the baby?

Here's a tutorial:

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5245.html

You say that nothing has changed, but have you actually taken the temperature at floor level all around the habitat? The first thing I always think of when people say their tort has stopped eating is that he has either gotten too cold or too hot.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
You might try offering him a thawed pinkie - mine go crazy for them.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The thing that put it off its food might have started earlier than you think- it sometimes takes a few weeks or months for things to visibly affect a tortoise.

Whenever a tortoise goes 'off', it makes sense to review EVERYTHING, but only change one thing at a time to see how each changes things.

noabert

5 Year Member
Hi there everyony,

I'll work uploading those pics, but until then here are my specs:
- 80F and 60 humidity on hot side (heat lamp)
-70F and 50 humidity on cool side
-accesable hide and water dish
-substrate: sphagnum moss with some clumps of spanish moss
-a few odd rocks
-Bruce is 4 years old and pretty much exactly 6 inches long

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Your cage is a little on the cool side, I would get the basking area up to about 88-90F, and if you can bring the humidity up a little more... but as far as eating, I think the bringing the heat will help. Does he come into contact with anything that may have parasites?

noabert

5 Year Member
I really doubt it. I live in Canada, so he is only outside 3 months a year. Although, on occasion, fruit flies do buzz around the enclosure.

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
he could have come in with parasites.
my tort eats a lot better when the temp is 80ish or a bit more
keep us posted

sachmn

5 Year Member
My Norbert is much younger than yours but I find that he eats better in higher temps, around 85F-90F. I have his food dish around midway in the enclosure where the temperature moves from around 90F down to the cool side at about 82F or 83F.
Mine, however also doesn't like much light...if the heat lamp is out he hides pretty quick so I keep one layer of a black garbage bag partially over the enclosure so it absorbs heat and warms the air but blocks off the bright light.

noabert

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

I've been experimenting and I pretty much have him eating again. Basically, rather than putting his food in a dish i place it right on the substrate. also, i place it on the cool side of the enclosure rather than the hot. if I do those thigns he eats almost liek he used to. although i sitll think it is weird that he'd simply decide to stop eating for no apparant resoning i'm happy everything seems to be going ok.

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't keep Redfoots but my big Sulcata and a couple of my other tortoises stopped eating for no apparent reason. I worked hard at getting them eating again but it was close to 2 weeks they didn't eat. I think it's because they needed to go outside, I think they are all tired of winter and the long gray days...

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Guys there is no such thing as warm side and cool side for redfoot tortoises.. anymore than they have "basking" spots.

Redfoot tortoises [ as with most all "forest" tortoises ] do not 'bask' as you would see a herbivorous tortoise do! They may sit under a light a little while but none of mine [ inside or out ] are ever seen 'basking' for hours. Most of the time they are out of direct light/sun or in their hide.

I maintain AMBIENT temps in the mid-80'sF range.

Your big guy just has an attitude for some reason.. I doubt there is a health issue. Keep him warm and don't stress him with too much light or handling him. He needs to feel warm, safe and secure! Consider a heat-emitter instead of that heat-light!

Is this making any sense noabert?

Terry K

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
My two big females bask all the time. They come out to a sunny spot and stretch their legs out to maximize their surface area. You can't say forest tortoises don't bask. I've observed this many many times with mine. Direct sunlight doesn't bother them at all either. They will graze in full sun a lot of the time. I guess I just have odd red foots.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
matt41gb said:
My two big females bask all the time. They come out to a sunny spot and stretch their legs out to maximize their surface area. You can't say forest tortoises don't bask. I've observed this many many times with mine. Direct sunlight doesn't bother them at all either. They will graze in full sun a lot of the time. I guess I just have odd red foots.

You always take issue Matt.. read my statement.

NERD

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Redfoot NERD said:
matt41gb said:

You always take issue Matt.. read my statement.

NERD

I didn't "take issue". I just stated that mine will bask in full sun. You said forest dwelling tortoises don't bask. The word "don't" is an absolute, meaning never. I'm saying that this isn't true. Do you think long term captive red-foots will adapt to basking more than a wild red-foot?

-Matt

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I said "do not 'bask' as you would see a herbivorous tortoise do!

I've defined "basking" a number of times.. but I'll do it again -

Basking is the requirement of UVB from the sun as a result of the herbivorous diet limitations. "They [ those plant-eaters ] don't get the D3 thing from their diet so they depend on sunshine".

Matt as you know if you've watched them first thing in the morning.. they come out of there hides to warm up their bones and then 'graze' and then back into their hides.

The comment about lighting/basking was because often time 'new' redfoot keepers will provide too much light [ that's what they've been taught by whoever ] which stresses them and they don't eat as they have/should. This thread is not about whether redfoot tortoises bask!

NERD

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I understand the concept of basking, and its purposes. I grouped red-foots in with the herbivorous tortoises that you mentioned. I know this thread isn't about basking but you brought it up. I'm still wondering what you think about basking between wild vs. captive red-foots.

-Matt

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
No difference that I've seen.. and I have both of all ages.

I have seen that the older they get the more visible they become.. however they [ redfoots ] just don't like that much sunshine/light. I'm convinced from personal observations that they only rely on the sun for very little of their D3 needs. And it appears that when "animal-protein" is provided their sun-worshipping is strictly to warm-up their bones!

So if someone has redfoots that are "basking" [ and the temps are good otherwise ].. does this mean they are lacking the D3 normally derived thru their diet? Let's consider this huh??? I've wondered about some keepers that don't provide animal protein often.. or provide it seldom. Redfoots love fesces(sp?) and fungi - ( poop and mushrooms ).

NERD

Status
Not open for further replies.